Using a French Black copper Marans Roo on other breeds (isa brown, RIR) to increase egg production but keep dark eggs? Is it possible?

That one unfortunately got taken by a hawk before POL but I had other similar looking ones that laid blue.
Sad. I will try to get better picture of mine tomorrow and her egg. If she isn't pure I don't want to buy from that place again. I have another source for BCM eggs that is great quality who also carries olive eggers so I'd just as soon use them if the Ameracauna isn't true.

Sad. I will try to get better picture of mine tomorrow and her egg. If she isn't pure I don't want to buy from that place again. I have another source for BCM eggs that is great quality who also carries olive eggers so I'd just as soon use them if the Ameracauna isn't true.
Yeah, I was really attached to her plus wanted to see what she laid. She got taken right in front of me and I watched her die :hit and yeah I wouldn’t trust that place honestly. Especially if they sold you a blind bird too.

Here's the thing-i want to be wrong. I really do. But if this could be done (a high production Maran cross whose eggs were true to the dark brown color Marans are famous for) then it would have been done and we would all have heard about it. And I would be buying them up no matter how hideous they were hahaha
Midnight Majesty Marans and Mystic Marans are two examples of mass produced Marans crosses. Yes their eggs are lighter than a Marans from decent breeders but they can be pretty similar to hatchery quality Marans eggs and some breeders that don't focus on eggs, also easily improved by back crossing to a true Marans with good egg genetics

Yeah, I was really attached to her plus wanted to see what she laid. She got taken right in front of me and I watched her die :hit and yeah I wouldn’t trust that place honestly. Especially if they sold you a blind bird too.
They always get the ones we love! Its like they know!
No it was another place that sold me a blind bird. I swore I was done with Ameracaunas after that but my friend went to buy me fertilized eggs when I was sick and came back with what were supposedly black Ameraucana eggs so of course I stuck them under the broody with the others.

They always get the ones we love! Its like they know!
No it was another place that sold me a blind bird. I swore I was done with Ameracaunas after that but my friend went to buy me fertilized eggs when I was sick and came back with what were supposedly black Ameraucana eggs so of course I stuck them under the broody with the others.
Yeah it’s sad!

And ahh okay, my bad. That makes sense!

Midnight Majesty Marans and Mystic Marans are two examples of mass produced Marans crosses. Yes their eggs are lighter than a Marans from decent breeders but they can be pretty similar to hatchery quality Marans eggs and some breeders that don't focus on eggs, also easily improved by back crossing to a true Marans with good egg genetics
Oh I've heard of those! I had no idea they were crosses. Interesting. I will look them up. I haven't bought hatchery Marans simply because I don't trust online egg photos. So far I have had pretty good luck buying fertilized eggs because at least you can see the quality of the eggs if that's what you're after. I don't particularly care about feathered feet, etc.

Here's the thing-i want to be wrong. I really do. But if this could be done (a high production Maran cross whose eggs were true to the dark brown color Marans are famous for) then it would have been done and we would all have heard about it. And I would be buying them up no matter how hideous they were hahaha
But many breeders hatch their darkest eggs. Theoretically couldn’t you do the same with a cross and slowly get to a higher producing darker egg layer.

Maybe you couldn’t get to a 9 on the color chart but maybe a 6-7 that produces 30-50 more eggs a year?
selectively breed/hatch to only the darkest eggs/highest producing birds.

But many breeders hatch their darkest eggs. Theoretically couldn’t you do the same with a cross and slowly get to a higher producing darker egg layer.

Maybe you couldn’t get to a 9 on the color chart but maybe a 6-7 that produces 30-50 more eggs a year?
selectively breed/hatch to only the darkest eggs/highest producing birds.
That seems to be the consensus. I couldn't find the original source or any source about the dark egg gene and how it works. I have read that darker eggs have a lower hatch rate. Don't know how true that is either but it does seem like an awful lot of work to go through to get a slightly darker egg. It might be easier to get one of the hatchery created breeds and breed it back to a marans since they claim to have higher egg production rates according to the Hoover's website.

Well i am a bonehead. @The Moonshiner was right-I caught the olive egger laying that green egg today so I don't know where that fairy egg came from. Maybe one of my old girls getting back into the swing of things. Please disregard my anecdotal analysis of BCM genetics :oops:

Back
Top Bottom