Best Chicken Breeds to Breed for Selling?

Kinda. While feathers add a layer, they also insulate against heat too. Naked necks are prone to sunburns because they don't have any feathers hiding that delicate skin
We call em vampire chickens but like light skinned horses noses you could put sunblock on the skin showing but if they have shade they should be fine

Might not be the answer you are after but breed what YOU want, not just what is popular. You aren’t going to enjoy it as much and what is popular is constantly changing. That means that when the spotlight changes, you are going to be stuck chickens that aren’t what you want.
Exactly. The fad chicken of today will be the castoff chicken 2 years from now. Remember Ayam Cemani. Indio gigante? Cream legbars? Pick a breed that interests you and stick with it. Try to improve it. They may even sell good for a few years but be prepared for when they dont. I dont care if i sell another chicken but i will always keep some of my favorites

Also, if you do have some success at selling chickens, people will get jealous and try to bad mouth you so they can make the money. Chicken peddlers, i call them. Some are real low life liars.

Also, if you do have some success at selling chickens, people will get jealous and try to bad mouth you so they can make the money. Chicken peddlers, i call them. Some are real low life liars.
Speaking of peddlers, I'd like to add dont buy some known good breeders birds just to resell them and make money off all the hard work of another. Totally disrespectful

Speaking of peddlers, I'd like to add dont buy some known good breeders birds just to resell them and make money off all the hard work of another. Totally disrespectful
Also dont buy birds just because the breeder won a few shows. A lot of show breeders keep 2 lines a male line and a female line. Also they inbreed heavily to get that perfect feather. Never mind health and productivity .

Also dont buy birds just because the breeder won a few shows. A lot of show breeders keep 2 lines a male line and a female line. Also they inbreed heavily to get that perfect feather. Never mind health and productivity .
Yeah through in and line breeding that breeder knows what theyre doing to keep deformities at bay. Not so much when someone buys a few off of them and starts their own breeding. In my experience one of the firsts signs are crooked tails when the breeding gets a lil tight

Exactly. The fad chicken of today will be the castoff chicken 2 years from now. Remember Ayam Cemani. Indio gigante? Cream legbars? Pick a breed that interests you and stick with it. Try to improve it. They may even sell good for a few years but be prepared for when they dont. I dont care if i sell another chicken but i will always keep some of my favorites
I have a breed that I have become set on, and it will be one that will be pretty enjoyable to improve on. It is a breed I have been fascinated with for a while.

What breed?
The Onagadori. I found a breeder with good quality Onagadoris. The only thing different about theirs is that they haven't reached 27ft long tails yet. Theirs have reached 7ft. I want to work on improving them by breeding the rooster with the longest tail.

At one point I had thought Ayam Cemanis but they have been over bred in my opinion. Now I see everyone selling them.

The Onagadori. I found a breeder with good quality Onagadoris. The only thing different about theirs is that they haven't reached 27ft long tails yet. Theirs have reached 7ft. I want to work on improving them by breeding the rooster with the longest tail.

At one point I had thought Ayam Cemanis but they have been over bred in my opinion. Now I see everyone selling them.
Well that is an... interesting breed. I have never heard of them but now I have got to look into them. Good choice!

Back
Top Bottom