Best chicken for little kids?

Actually I mentioned them to the park commitee as well so don’t yell at me! Lol:oops:
Some park member said they had d’Uccles once and they weren’t cold hardy at all. It gets pretty cold here. Are your d’Uccles hardy?
They aren't as cold hardy as some other breeds, that is true. But if properly acclimated to the temps I think they'd be fine. Silkies are even less cold hardy you know :p
My dad put heat in our coop, but I think they would be okay without it except for the very coldest days.

Serama, if you can keep them warm in the Winter.

fifi.jpg

I think brahmas would be best.
They’re gentle giants. They’re great pet chickens for their quiet and tame nature, they’re very cold hardy and they’re good winter egg layers.
They’re also great broodies
Good with children. Mine have never pecked anyone.

I breed them. Here’s some pics of mine

Are you a professional photographer? Every picture I try to take of my girls is a blurry mess, no one will volunteer to hold still long enough for a photo.

I personally think silkies are best for kids. Some of the roosters can be aggressive, however this will not be an issue since the park is getting only pullets. My silkie hens love being held, and are all around beautiful sweet chickens.
View attachment 1639491
The only issues I can see with silkies are: 1) They may all go broody at once! And 2) they may teach kids that this is what normal chickens are supposed to look like. LOL

Silkies in a mixed flock would be awesome though.

A44D942C-42FF-42A8-A51B-E91D78804C95.jpeg
Silkies are by far your best bet. They’re cute beyond words, kid-sized for handling, extremely sweet and calm, and they lay about 2-3 eggs weekly so your kids have the fun of gathering eggs. If I had room I would have a whole coop just made up of Silkies. As it is, we content ourselves with one white Silkie in our flock with 5 other full sized breeds.

Actually I mentioned them to the park commitee as well so don’t yell at me! Lol:oops:
Some park member said they had d’Uccles once and they weren’t cold hardy at all. It gets pretty cold here. Are your d’Uccles hardy?
Seeing as we live in the same state, and I've owned 8 d'Uccles, you should be fine. ;) Never lost one to winter temps, and it's reached negatives. :)

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom