Best Cold Hardy, Snowing, Below Freezing, Laying Breeds?

Quote:
gig.gif

Suzy

I have comets, sex links and Delawares-I'm getting about 10 eggs a day from 14 birds so I think they're doing just fine. I was actually surprised they were still going strong.

my egyptian fayoumis are almost completely unphased by the cold. they escaped a day or two ago and were foraging, bathing and pecking around in the snow. they are ill tempered mean selfish WILD little brats. i handled them and spoiled them just as much as i handled and spoiled the others and they are still nasty and mean compared to my other hens who are kind-hearted and people loving.

cuckoo marans lay all throughout the winter with no break at all no matter how the light looks. heck, she lays better than my red & black stars. my maran roo is getting frostbite though. i wouldn't call that cold hardiness.

the only bird i have that's bothered by the cold is my tiny little gold phoenix bantam. poor dear cuddles as close as she can to her favorite roo for warmth.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Buff Orpingtons. They are extremely fluffy and large and are very cold-hardy. Mine lay eggs all winter long! In general, short-combed birds do better. Long-combed birds have more tropical ancestry for warm/hot weather.

I have a mixed-flock, that I ordered from Ideal last March. All of them (except an EE) were laying an egg a day for me in the warmer months. Now that winter has hit, I have found the following breeds to be the best layers:

*Gold-Sex Links
*Barred Rocks
*Australorps (out of the 2 I have, I always find one of my BAs in the nestbox when its laying time)

The other two breeds; EEs & SL Wyandottes, hardly lay at all. I am able to tell its them, cuz of the type of egg. I would say my EEs give me an egg every 3-4 days, my Wyandottes the same rate and I have 2 of each breed.

I do add supplemental light/heat from 4am, and allow them to roost & go to sleep on their own. HTH!

Can I ask for another clarification on this list? Of those of you with hens laying well now, which of these are in their 2nd or 3rd year? I think it is likely that many of the breeds will lay well the pullet year, but not as well after that.

Quote:
My brahmas are in their second year, i.e., this is their second winter of laying.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom