Best ducks for eggs

ninny

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
IL side of the QCA
I am thinking of rasing ducks for eggs. They will be free range and will have to deal with cold winters and chickens year round. I am thinking runners or campbells i would stay with one breed and raise ducklings for sale as well. They don't have to be good moms as i will have my silkies raise them.

I was also wondering about guineas could they be raise with ducks and chickens or should i get geese. They will have to be watch dogs for my layers as i am sick of them getting eaten.

Last edited:
I havent had mine for long but after having both runners and campbells I would go for the campbells there alitle slower paced than the runners. But if you want an exceptionaly friendly duck go with the runners they just dont stop moving lol

I have Muscovys, Khakis, Pekins, and a Cayuga.

The Muscovys are primarily Meat ducks--but are quiet and full of personality.

The Female Pekins are LOUD

The Khaki's are less noisy but a little skittish but very good layers

The Cayuga is pretty and does lay a greenish egg

The Khaki's or Runners are probably your best choice for daily eggs or go with a hybrid duck from Welp or Ideal specifically for laying.

You don't need a pond--but you will need a source of water. My ducks love to bath in any weather and they make a mess.

I never had geese or guineas--but my MIL did and they can be heard for miles....Depending on where you are--for instance if you have close neighbors--you will need to think about that. Geese are vegetarians and will be good weeders and the guineas eat their keep in critters--especially ticks...It all depends on you and what you really want.

Start with a small clutch and get your feet wet first...

I only have runners and they lay very well. Nice big eggs. I do have one gal that keeps trying to go broody though ........

Julie
smile.png

For my girls, I have one runner, one khaki and one buff. None of them are laying yet. The runner is the most flighty of the three and the buff is the loudest. The khaki appears to be the smartest and most observant so far.

The buff is a seasonal layer, but once the khaki and the runner get started, they should lay pretty much all year.

Last edited:
go with Calls!!!
They are small, cleaner ( to an extent) not noisy, and cute as all get out!
I have the cayugas in Black and Blue too , they are very nice if you want a larger breed, and look great when the sun hits them.
Silkies will have a time turning the big ol ducks egg though I would think? Maybe not, but I'd incubate to be safe and easy on the silkies. Just my call there, you'll probley be fine either way??
Aubrey

Back
Top Bottom