Best Friend Ducks

kavila09

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2024
I am in the market for ducks that are the most friendly. I am wanting to raise them as pets and I also want them to be calm especially when small children are around. I have a few picked out but wanted to see what other peoples opinions are as far as calm in a breed.

Thanks in advance

I'm no expert, but I know that the more I handled the ducklings I raised, from day one and on, (try to get them the same day they were hatched, or as close to that as possible) the more tame and friendly they became. Of the few breeds I've raised- Pekins (the all white ducks), Black Ducks, Mallards, Muscovey, Khaki Campbells, Harlequins, Blue and Black Suedes, and Runner ducks, the Pekins were the most docile and easily tamed. The Black Swedes were very friendly too. The most difficult ducks for me were the Khaki Campbells. I will never get Khakis again due to their skittishness.

Yes I agree w/ @Rock17 you have to hold them a lot when little . I have had several breeds also and yes Khakis are most skittish . My runner ducks and my white layers have been the friendliest . Also a silver appleyard who lets me pet her.

Here is a link to a very helpful chart from Metzer farms where you can look at their evaluation of duck temperment - 1 being most calm and 10 being most high-strung. I would say go for a calm breed, but also consider that many of them are the heavy-weight breeds, such as pekins, who come with considerable potential health issues that you will have to learn how to take care of, and also they might not have the most longevity, though they are super sweet. The hard part about getting calls from Metzer is they are unsexed and you may end up with a bad male to female ratio. Welsh Harlequins are calm and a light weight bird. I have black swedish right now and they are very friendly. Keep in mind when making your decision that the male to female ratio is usually one drake for 3-5 females. Also, plan to have a minimum of 3 birds because they are such strong flock animals, if something happens to one of them you don't want to end up with a solo duck.

https://www.metzerfarms.com/compare-duck-breeds.html

Here is a link to a very helpful chart from Metzer farms where you can look at their evaluation of duck temperment - 1 being most calm and 10 being most high-strung. I would say go for a calm breed, but also consider that many of them are the heavy-weight breeds, such as pekins, who come with considerable potential health issues that you will have to learn how to take care of, and also they might not have the most longevity, though they are super sweet. The hard part about getting calls from Metzer is they are unsexed and you may end up with a bad male to female ratio. Welsh Harlequins are calm and a light weight bird. I have black swedish right now and they are very friendly. Keep in mind when making your decision that the male to female ratio is usually one drake for 3-5 females. Also, plan to have a minimum of 3 birds because they are such strong flock animals, if something happens to one of them you don't want to end up with a solo duck.

https://www.metzerfarms.com/compare-duck-breeds.html
Thank you, this is so helpful.

Back
Top Bottom