Introducing non friendly ducks with friendly ducks

KeeleyDucks

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2023
Hello. I just added some 3 year old female ducks with my 2 month old ducks. Our ducks were raised to be friendly. They eat out of our hands, follow us and love to be around us. The new ducks are not as friendly and was wondering if anyone has experienced this causing the friendly ducks to be more standoffish.

Attachments

• IMG_7680.jpeg
    IMG_7680.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
Hopefully, it will be the other way around, I just recently added a buff Orpington duck to my flock of Runners and Buffs and she isn't friendly to me like the ones that have been here for years but I am hoping the more she is around me she will be. When they aren't used to humans actually interacting with them it can take a while.
Pretty ducks ♥️

Last edited:
Agree with everything that was said. 2 month old ducks are still babies and will eventually possibly become a little more wary of being handled, but I don't think the older ducks will impact that. New ducks will stress them out temporarily, but eventually they'll get used to each other - just be sure to allow everyone plenty of breathing space. I adopted a duck that wasn't very used to humans last November. She doesn't want me to touch her, but she's totally adapted, is the first one in line for treats, and will eat them out of my hand. She gets along just fine with all my other ducks and knows the routines now, so success.

Hopefully, it will be the other way around, I just recently added a buff Orpington duck to my flock of Runners and Buffs and she isn't friendly to me like the ones that have been here for years but I am hoping the more she is around me she will be. When they aren't used to humans actually interacting with them it can take a while.
Pretty ducks ♥️
I am hoping the same thing, day 1 and our ducks are still friendly and still spend time with me. The new girls still standoffish but I know if it happens that will take time.

I am hoping the same thing, day 1 and our ducks are still friendly and still spend time with me. The new girls still standoffish but I know if it happens uckauthat isn’t will take time.
We just have to be Patient. They watch the resident ducks to see how they interact also. When I first brought Elly home she was so happy to be in a flock again( hers were killed by dogs) I was just happy to see how good my ducks accepted her. She didn’t even know how to scarf treats up off the ground but she’s learned so small steps are awesome.

Back
Top Bottom