Best egg laying breed chicken for HOT weather?

I agree with TXMom... the only hen I've lost to the heat so far has been a RIR. Surprisingly, the cochins are holding up just fine, even though they have the most feathers. And I wish I hadn't sold my Brahmas... they lay large eggs, have an excellent temperment, and hold up well in the heat too.

If Ideal has another sale, I may just have to get some more. (SHHH! Don't tell hubby!)

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.CountryChickens.com

Quote:
Let me know if you want to split an Ideal order with me, Kathy!!! I won't tell if you don't...
wink.png
I want some Brahmas, and maybe more EE's.

I sold off my RIR and sexlinks before this heat hit. My Orps are hot, but laying about every other day. My EE's the same. My Silkies are still popping them out. And my BR is going strong. We keep fans on and refill water twice a day. My coops are open wire on the top half of the walls all around, so there is plenty of breeze.

Just wanted to add that my Orps are one black hen, one blue hen and a much older buff hen. I get the least amount of eggs from the buff. I would think my black one in particular would be in trouble.

Oh and my Speckled Sussex is probably the least concerned with the heat. Thank God I have more of those growing up!

Last edited:
My brahmas haven't slowed down a bit in this heat and I'm really starting to wish they would. I worry about them in this heat.
Here's hoping for an early moult.
fl.gif

Redstar's and EE's do great here.. my redstars are all done by 8:30 am (usually by 8) and go on about they're day, and the EE's are learning to do the same.. They were waiting till 2 or 3pm(heat of the day) and suffering, and now, goen in bout 9am.. Smart little things!

WE have red sex linked and black sex linked.... both are laying very well in the extreme heat. Just have plenty of fresh water and food available.

This is good info, as I was wondering the same thing. My Barred Rock girls, who have always been very reliable, dwindled down to nearly nothing when our 100+ temps hit. I may bring in some mediterranean types to take the (very long) summer shift!

Quote:
It is concluded that vitamin E (125 IU/kg) and vitamin C (200 mg/kg) could independently alleviate the effects of heat stress on production performance and immunological variables of layers.

I know 1 KG= 2.2LBS and can work out the milligrams, but don't know IU/KG. Also in what form are the vitamins presented?

Sorry I'm not trying to highjack this thread.

Quote:
It is concluded that vitamin E (125 IU/kg) and vitamin C (200 mg/kg) could independently alleviate the effects of heat stress on production performance and immunological variables of layers.

I know 1 KG= 2.2LBS and can work out the milligrams, but don't know IU/KG. Also in what form are the vitamins presented?

Sorry I'm not trying to highjack this thread.

Hmmmmm...so when I give them a treat (maybe yogurt?) I can add Vitamins E & C, and it will help them??? I will do almost anything to reduce the heat stress in my girls...well, except maybe an A/C unit in their coop...LOL. Not that I haven't at least considered it
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom