Best egg laying breed?

nuttyredhead

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2010
Southern NH
I can choose from the following! Which would be the hardiest (NH winter's) and best egg later!

Red Sexlink
Black Sexlink
Ameraucana (spelling)
Silver Wyandotte
Golden Wyandotte
Plymouth barred rock

Thank you!

3AE5F119-2B2B-4007-A6EC-B0406C80CBB8.jpeg
Red sex link for sure !
They can lay up to 280-300 eggs on their first year.

I like Ameraucana and Easter Eggers plenty good... but that will be your worst egg laying breed IMO. Every other day at best ONCE mature... Not the largest eggs or the most consistent of layers. Noting I will ALWAYS have at least one simply because I like them. It makes everyday feel like a kid not knowing what color I will collect.

Honestly... I'd go with a variety.. get eye candy on pasture, easily tell the hens apart if someone isn't well, easier to tall who is laying, and spread around the molting time and such. Personally LOVE Rocks. Wyandotte are to broody for my liking. Sex links... TOOO many reproductive problems as they age.

Have a grand adventure! :wee

View attachment 1401075
Red sex link for sure !
They can lay up to 280-300 eggs on their first year.
Yes... but will they live and produce through year 4 and 5 or later like many heritage breeds will. Doesn't do me any good to get 200 egg the first year and have to raise chicks the second year going without eggs until mature again.... Personal opinion... just see too many issues happen at young ages.

I like Ameraucana and Easter Eggers plenty good... but that will be your worst egg laying breed IMO. Every other day at best ONCE mature... Not the largest eggs or the most consistent of layers. Noting I will ALWAYS have at least one simply because I like them. It makes everyday feel like a kid not knowing what color I will collect.

Honestly... I'd go with a variety.. get eye candy on pasture, easily tell the hens apart if someone isn't well, easier to tall who is laying, and spread around the molting time and such. Personally LOVE Rocks. Wyandotte are to broody for my liking. Sex links... TOOO many reproductive problems as they age.

×2
Some wyandottes don't really go broody. Mine are two/three years old and have never gone broody. Depends on the stock I guess...
Mine are also very hardy and adapt to temperature change.My wyandottes lay 5-6 eggs a week and are friendly. (Not directed at you just combining two post together.. i don't like to post two times in a row)

Yes... but will they live and produce through year 4 and 5 or later like many heritage breeds will. Doesn't do me any good to get 200 egg the first year and have to raise chicks the second year going without eggs until mature again.... Personal opinion... just see too many issues happen at young ages.

Yes, but the OP asked for the best egg laying breed out of the 6 they chose. I simply told them what the best egg laying breed out the six that they had chosen is.
You told them to get a variety but they were only asking for one specific breed that lays the most eggs.

Back
Top Bottom