Buff Orphington x plymouth rock egg production?

EOD Daddy

Chirping
Sep 14, 2023
First I hope this is in the right spot. Has anyone made this cross and what was the egg production like? Would it be as good as a normal black sexlink?
Other crosses I have thought about is buff rock x buff orpington quite possibly a bird that would breed true for color.
Buff rock x barred rock a plymouth rock sexlink

First I hope this is in the right spot.
This spot works. Questions like this are also a good fit in the section called "Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP."

Has anyone made this cross and what was the egg production like? Would it be as good as a normal black sexlink?
Egg production will probably not be as good as the commercially-produced Black Sexlinks.

The hatcheries are generally using special lines of extra-good layers to produce their Black Sexlinks, so their Black Sexlinks will generally lay better than ones you can produce.

Other crosses I have thought about is buff rock x buff orpington quite possibly a bird that would breed true for color.
Yes, that should breed true for buff color.

Buff rock x barred rock a plymouth rock sexlink
Yes, that should produce color-sexable chicks (black sexlinks) that have all the Plymouth Rock traits of their parents. (This cross should produce chickens that are closer to a dual-purpose body type, different than the commercially produced Black Sexlinks which are bred more strongly for egg production.)

Back
Top Bottom