Have you seen this?

JFF12

Chirping
Sep 4, 2022
I recently hatched 12 eggs and they came from: rooster (buff Orpington and Plymouth based rock)..hen (buff Orpington, barred rock, golden comet). I have two that are almost white. Not blonde but white. Which breed would have caused this? Just asking out of curiosity, trying to learn as much as possible from you good folks. The one on the left shows how white I’m talking compared to one that looks more straight buff. The one in the middle looks like a combo of what I’d think barred and buff would look like…. May be a pointless question but these two definitely stand out.

Attachments

• IMG_1704.jpeg
    IMG_1704.jpeg
    829.7 KB · Views: 12
The white is from the hen who's part Golden Comet. Golden Comets (along with other Red Sex Link chickens) has a white parent (White Rock, etc.) and a red parent (RIR, NHR, etc.).

I recently hatched 12 eggs and they came from: rooster (buff Orpington and Plymouth based rock)..hen (buff Orpington, barred rock, golden comet). I have two that are almost white. Not blonde but white. Which breed would have caused this? Just asking out of curiosity, trying to learn as much as possible from you good folks. The one on the left shows how white I’m talking compared to one that looks more straight buff. The one in the middle looks like a combo of what I’d think barred and buff would look like…. May be a pointless question but these two definitely stand out.
As regards the white:
the chicken got the genetics to be black all over (like a Barred Rock but without the white barring), and then it got a gene that turns black into white (that is what makes Golden Comets have white tails, instead of black tails like their Rhode Island Red roosters that are used to produce Golden Comets.)

Back
Top Bottom