Best feed add ons for health

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Looking for more seasonings to add to my chickens feed. So far in adding garlic(it’s fine for chickens in powder form), cayenne, tumeric and when I ferment I add some honey. What else can I add? It’s dropped to 18F and they can’t forage anymore because of the snow so I’m just trying to keep their health up for the winter which should last at least half a year 😅

Looking for more seasonings to add to my chickens feed. So far in adding garlic(it’s fine for chickens in powder form), cayenne, tumeric and when I ferment I add some honey. What else can I add? It’s dropped to 18F and they can’t forage anymore because of the snow so I’m just trying to keep their health up for the winter which should last at least half a year 😅
I give them dried kelp (comes in a big container) when I give them treats or scraps I sprinkle some on top. Feel free to add red pepper flakes, rosemary, thyme, oregano seasoning a well my chickens seem to like it. I also have a 5LB of Flax Seed that I sprinkle onto feed occasionally, should help with egg nutrition as well. Lastly since it's winter and cold where you are, carbs are okay I like to give them bread or corn or oats towards the end of the day before they sleep. Helps them keep warm since carbs are simple heat sources for them

I give them dried kelp (comes in a big container) when I give them treats or scraps I sprinkle some on top. Feel free to add red pepper flakes, rosemary, thyme, oregano seasoning a well my chickens seem to like it. I also have a 5LB of Flax Seed that I sprinkle onto feed occasionally, should help with egg nutrition as well. Lastly since it's winter and cold where you are, carbs are okay I like to give them bread or corn or oats towards the end of the day before they sleep. Helps them keep warm since carbs are simple heat sources for them
I’ll try that thank you! We actually have some seaweed that no one is going to eat. Corn I avoid but we got an entire bag of oats so that’ll work perfectly!

Oats and milk make porridge, which my flock enjoy as a warm breakfast on a cold morning. Go easy with the seaweed, as it can make everything taste of iodine.
What kind of milk do you use? I’ve heard it’s best to avoid dairy for chickens but also they eat just about everything 🤦

I’ll make sure I only add a little seaweed per feeder full

Back
Top Bottom