Best feed?

Hi Logan

When one is deciding what to feed ones birds their are several considerations.

1. Purpose of birds. A young broiler has different nutritional requirements than a two year old laying hen or a week old chick and so on.

2. Cost of feed.

3. Quality or digestibility of the ration. Protein % and fat content are important but so is the quality of the protein. Amino acids make up proteins and having a quality protein is just as important as the total protein.

As you are from Minnesota you are likely familiar with "Mill's Fleet Farm". This is where I get my mash. The store brand "Sprout" has served me well for years and is a quality product. As for organic feeds you will have to shop around as availability and price vary by locality.

When it comes to whole grains, oats, rye, barley, milo, millet, sorghum, or maize are all readily found at most local feed mills. BOSS(black oil sunflower seed) is another common feed choice. As are soy nuts, peas, peanuts, and cotton seed.

If you are set on having a mill custom mix a feed for you there are tons of recipes out there on the internet to be had.

Best is an opinion as prices for ingredients change depending on where you live.

Good luck. Sprout works.

Back
Top Bottom