Best Layers?

What is the best brown egg laying breed/hybrid? I want large eggs and a lot of em.

The best laying brown egg layers are Black and Red Sex links, both of which are used by laying houses for their brown eggs as they are egg laying machines. I've raised both varieties (they are hybrids) for years and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. I actually prefer the Black Sex Links as my Blacks have been generally friendlier than my Reds, have laid slightly better in really cold, winter weather, tend to have a little longer laying life, and tend to lay the slightly larger eggs with double yolks not being uncommon. However you can't go wrong either way.

I haven't had much experience with the black sex linked, but I love my red sex linked. They lay really big eggs, but I've read that they tend to get "spent" after about 2 years. Also, my red sex linked tend to wander a good bit when we free-range. My Australorps always stay within the fence- fortunately they all fly back into the yard and go in the pen for roosting

Thanks yall i decided to get a rsl pullet. I wanted more but the feed store only had one left

Back
Top Bottom