best meat birds

Quote:
White Leghorns as a dual purpose breed? The White Leghorn is considered a production layer.

Yep...but they've been around long enough to be quite hardy and productive, without the usual rate of burn out noticed in Black Stars or Red Stars production breeds I've had and consequently culled. I always keep around a few I consider a little lightweight on meat if they are super layers~and if you have good ones, the roos can get to quite respectable weights. RIR and WL both aren't the best at going broody when I need my laying flock replenished, so they can go on laying while a few of my gals are doing the mom thing.

They aren't the heaviest of birds, but their exemplary laying makes them my borderline favorite DPs, whereas I wouldn't have anything like a Buff Orpington just because they are meaty~ they simply do not lay well for extended periods of time nor are they thrifty on feed. I'd rather have a slightly smaller layer than a big and meaty that never lays consistently.

My grandmother and my mother both raised White Leghorns and found them to be good enough layers to justify keeping them as DP birds~our roos were pretty meaty for leghorns. The last one I had in my flock was still laying double yolkers at the age of 6 and finally had to be culled at age 7 for slowing down on production. All my birds must lay every day or every other day in peak season...she finally couldn't make the grade.

The White Leghorn sounds like my kind of bird!!!!! So I can get a few New Hamps and some BAs ,then throw in some WLs and I should have a nice laying flock that will give me eggs ALL the time except while in moult ? Also the WLs eat less than my hogs ? I can bypass the roos of the breeds and just get the CXs for meat . I am so sick of feeding hens that will not lay at least 4 days out of 7.Yes they are all heavies and jerks
smile.png

I guess I will have to wait until spring to start my new flock
sad.png

I also have ducks.Pekins and runners.

Last edited:
My leghorns were not bad tasting, just not a lot of meat. I have 7 leghorns and two and two Black Australorp and have got a steady 7 to 8 eggs. I let the flock grow to about 30 at summer as they free range and therefor a lot less feed. Winter I thin them out and keep the best layers. I also get 15 crosses every quarter really good meat. I keep them separated until the last month of their life. This year winter is coming in yearly with a 2 inches the other day so not sure if this group will free range or not we will see.

Quote:
I would be happy with 7 to 8 eggs a day but my birds have never laid more than a month at a time.Then it's been 3 to 4 eggs a day out of 9 pullets .I take that back this spring I was getting 6 to 7 eggs a day then it all but stopped ,so I thought. Come to find out my delawares were eating the eggs. I got rid of them and all was well for another month .Then all stopped laying.
I think my barred rocks are the only ones that have really laid decent.
I can not blame the feed as I feed layer,rocking rooster for animal protein,greens,oats and all the good stuff plus they have ostyer shell. Now my Silkies always lay as do my other bantams.Never had any problems with their eggs.Nice orange yolks and a very good hatch rate.They are fed the same food as my layers.They all have houses and large coops.They always have water.All my birds are healthy with nice feathers no lice and have been wormed. I can not help but wonder if maybe they are too fat and maybe that could be a problem but if so why not with the bantams.
I know I am wasting money buying feed for birds that don't lay and have never laid well. I have already started looking up places to get some white leghorns from.I have heard that there was one Australop that laid a record number of eggs in a year
smile.png
I am hoping to get some now so they will be laying come spring
Where would be a good place to get meat birds this time of year?

I have freedom rangers right now and this batch has been my best so far, these kids actually eat less feed then any of the others I raised this year. They are 6 1/2 weeks old and do more free ranging then eating feed. I fed them at 5 am and they act starving, they eat a little then off they go, to eat grass, bugs and such. They are consuming less then 9 lbs of feed a day (I have 11) probably less considering the layers are always near their dish. They are going nicely and will be sent to the processors in 5 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom