Best nesting box bedding for cleanest eggs?

My nests are 14x14x16"H.
I like a thick flake of straw, tucked in tight then bowled out.
Keeps a nice cushion around the framing of nest, even after they scratch out the middle to bare nest bottom, which can deter broken eggs.
straw is what I currently use, toss it on the floor and replace when it is dirty. Don't see myself using any product that require washing/cleaning as @Iluveggers and @rayrose.

Those broken egg incidents occur with extremely thin shelled eggs one of the hens (I think) is laying. I even picked up perfectly intact shell-less egg every once in a while, but this thin shelled one gets broken way too often.
I have a scrap of vinyl flooring fit tight in bottom of nests, with an extra for quick change out, makes it easy to lift the whole mess out.

Poop in nests is usually from nest sleepers, which I do not allow.
no overnight sleeping in the nest boxes here, but some of the low level or molting ones may visit and hang out during day to avoid pecking.
Dirty feet can be hard to avoid in certain conditions, usually not a problem in winter, except during thaws.
that is what we getting every week here

I guess the best thing in that circumstance would be as much as you can stuff into the nests of whatever bedding is abundant and stays fluffy.
even with new bedding it does not help.

The only "solution" I found so far on a rainy day is to check for eggs as frequently as possible, collecting them 3-4 at a time including from under the hens and not in the evening after they has been well walked on. That is a lot of walks to the coop :(

straw is what I currently use, toss it on the floor and replace when it is dirty. Don't see myself using any product that require washing/cleaning as @Iluveggers and @rayrose.
I don’t clean it! We’ve had the same ones in there. Haven’t had to replace it, just refluff it every couple of days. Maybe my hens are cleaner than normal. 😂 Their run sure is a mess!

Those broken egg incidents occur with extremely thin shelled eggs one of the hens (I think) is laying. I even picked up perfectly intact shell-less egg every once in a while, but this thin shelled one gets broken way too often.
Have had a few of those scenarios, it's a PITA for sure.
Frequent collecting is the only preventative to filthy nests, other than culling that bird.

Have also had a couple birds that pooped every.time they laid.

I don’t clean it! We’ve had the same ones in there. Haven’t had to replace it, just refluff it every couple of days. Maybe my hens are cleaner than normal. 😂 Their run sure is a mess!
please define "refluff". I find a broken egg in the current straw bedded nest - I toss the straw out and put new one. How can you refluff when it is a sticky mess?

please define "refluff". I find a broken egg in the current straw bedded nest - I toss the straw out and put new one. How can you refluff when it is a sticky mess?
Just pull the affected pieces out (think of a yarn ball squished but made of skinny straw that will rip…I just pull the dirty pieces out, and then move the clean pieces over to fill the open spot where the pieces were ripped out.

Exactly!
I toss the whole thing in the trash, used to toss into the run but they'll eat the egg soaked straw.

as it is been going for a few months now, would love to. Any tips on identifying which one?
Even more surveillance to catch them in the act.

no overnight sleeping in the nest boxes here, but some of the low level or molting ones may visit and hang out during day to avoid pecking.

that is what we getting every week here
I never have to wash mine. I just shake them out, and they last forever.
Takes me 3 minutes to clean 5 large nest boxes.

Back
Top Bottom