Best pet duck?

They can lay anywhere from 3-4 years average but some lay longer than that.
They can lay up to 325 eggs a year, I went back and looked so I could say exact.

Noise wise my Scovies are the best. The females do fly up and sit on the barn roof at times but you could clip their wings if you needed to.

Egg wise my Pekin is the best but they are louder than my Calls. My Pekins never fly around.

Cutest, well, I love them all but the calls are so cute and tiny. I have seen them fly from the barn up to the house but they don't fly that often.

I also have a Cayuga female and a black and white mutt female and they are very loud like my Pekin.

Quote:
i didn't either at first
but the looks will grow on you
the muscovy have a lot of personality
and are VERY quiet
the males sounds like a sniffling dog
and the females so this sort of tiny trilly chirp

my girls look up at me sideways with those blue eyes
and i just melt
i spoil them rotten
even more then my beloved buff orpingtons
( and they are some spoiled chickens believe me)

currently the ducks are cleaning slugs and grubs out of the garden
( and a bit of garlic as well)

vi

I have a pair each of Blue Swedish and Khaki Campbells. They are the only ducks I've ever had. The Blue Swedish female is a little loud. The Khaki female is quieter. All are a little skittish around people but not crazy. If I had to choose one of these two breeds I'd go with the Khakis.

We have a male Magpie and a female Cayuga. they talk all day long. they get along with my hens, but Louie is very protective when the dogs are around. we've had them since they were days old. never had a problem with them at all.
cool.png

If you go with runners (esp Fawn and white) be forwarned they females can get really loud. They don't quack all the time, but when they want something (more bath water, food, treats) they will quack very loudly until you give them what they want. If you keep up on everything they want/need you should be ok. I live in a townhouse with a very small backyard and no one minds my ducks. My ducks seem to be on a schedule and know when i feed them or get them more water. they will quack loudly when i'm not on schedule.

a female muscovy makes a great pet duck. not only is the breed very people friendly they do not quack making them the quietest breed. they can fly and so need regular wing clipping to keep them safe at home. I currently have 22 muscovys of both sexes here at our sanctuary and they are my favorites by far.

Bill

Can my Muscovys winter outdoors ? I've heard yes and no; since you live farther North than me; maybe you can be of help.

The quietest ducks I've ever owned are the two I just gave to a friend. The hen is a Magpie Cayuga cross and the Drake is a Cayuga something cross. The only time I ever heard those ducks is when they were out of food. There were days I forgot I even had those two until I'd see them out in the grass. Very quiet birds! Kinda miss them too, just a little.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom