Best rooster breeds

We have a handful of Roosters. silkies are the class clowns in our yard for sure. We love em! We also have a BCM Roo who is our big breed sweetheart. We have an EE Rooster who's not mean but he also just stay's away. I think in some not all cases how they are raised is key to their demeanor.

I've had a few EE Roos and they were pretty mean. All wound up having rather short lives. I have a Buff Orpington roo now and he's pretty good as far as roos go. He'll get a bit testy at times, but if I act aggressive towards him be backs off and decides it's not worth the risk. I'd consider that about ideal. His primary job is to protect the girls so, I don't want a push over.
The picture's a little old.

I've had a few EE Roos and they were pretty mean. All wound up having rather short lives. I have a Buff Orpington roo now and he's pretty good as far as roos go. He'll get a bit testy at times, but if I act aggressive towards him be backs off and decides it's not worth the risk. I'd consider that about ideal. His primary job is to protect the girls so, I don't want a push over. The picture's a little old.
Aw, handsome!

That picture really doesn't do him justice. He's a large and impressive looking bird. I was a bit reluctant to go with what I considered to be a rather plain looking rooster. I wanted more of the traditional new hampshire red type look, but I wanted one I could live with this time so the Buff won based on people's opinions of their personality. Turns out he's beautiful. The gold is so much better than what that picture shows. If it wasn't dark I'd go take a new, better picture. I have 2 buffs, 3 barred rocks, 2 easter eggers, 1 golden comet (for hens) and then the 1 buff roo and I have no problem recommending buff orpingtons to anyone wanting a general purpose breed who's unsure what breed they want to go with.

That picture really doesn't do him justice. He's a large and impressive looking bird. I was a bit reluctant to go with what I considered to be a rather plain looking rooster. I wanted more of the traditional new hampshire red type look, but I wanted one I could live with this time so the Buff won based on people's opinions of their personality. Turns out he's beautiful. The gold is so much better than what that picture shows. If it wasn't dark I'd go take a new, better picture. I have 2 buffs, 3 barred rocks, 2 easter eggers, 1 golden comet (for hens) and then the 1 buff roo and I have no problem recommending buff orpingtons to anyone wanting a general purpose breed who's unsure what breed they want to go with. 

Yes, He is a beautiful gold color! The picture is fine :)

How do you like your Easter eggers personality? I haven't looked much into them but I might want to get some

They are less friendly. A bit "flighty" I guess you could say. They aren't bad though. Just not as friendly as the orps or barred rocks. I used to have a bunch of them. Now I just have the 2 to add a little color to my egg cartons. The males I've had in the past have all been pretty aggressive, but the female's are fine. No complaints and good layers. (My current 2 aren't laying age yet, but like I said, I've had a bunch in the past)

I have New hampshire red rooster.He is about 2 years and is absuloutly great.Very protective and is one of the best pet chickens I have.Second a black Sex Link is his son.He is young and could defiantly use some more time to learn how to be mature and them 2 is a 4 minth old cochin awesome pet,and yries to be big and bad and defend his girls.What are you looking for ina rooster.

I have New hampshire red rooster.He is about 2 years and is absuloutly great.Very protective and is one of the best pet chickens I have.Second a black Sex Link is his son.He is young and could defiantly use some more time to learn how to be mature and them 2 is a 4 minth old cochin awesome pet,and yries to be big and bad and defend his girls.What are you looking for ina rooster.

I want a friendly, sweet, docile roo that is mature and will protect the hens, and I know roosters like that exists because my grandfather had a roo that was the friendliest thing ever, he would run up to you and jump into your arms to get petted. I think if I get a roo I will get a buff

Calmest rooster I've had is a Salmon Faverolles. He was never aggressive to people. He was wonderful with the girls, always calling them when he found a special treat. He'd never think of eating it himself. He kept a good watch on what was happening around the place and would alert the girls whenever he saw something suspicious. Sadly, a fox got him one evening when I was too ill to lock them up and my friend was late getting to the house to lock them up for me. I have 3 Salmon Faverolles cockerels ordered for April. I'll keep one or two. My neighbor fell in love with my other one so I'll give one to her.

Calmest rooster I've had is a Salmon Faverolles.  He was never aggressive to people.  He was wonderful with the girls, always calling them when he found a special treat.  He'd never think of eating it himself.  He kept a good watch on what was happening around the place and would alert the girls whenever he saw something suspicious.  Sadly, a fox got him one evening when I was too ill to lock them up and my friend was late getting to the house to lock them up for me.  I have 3 Salmon Faverolles cockerels ordered for April.  I'll keep one or two.  My neighbor fell in love with my other one so I'll give one to her. 

That's awful to hear that he died :(

I will definitely be considering the breed!

Back
Top Bottom