Best Slaughtering Techniques?

Taylor97

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
Texas
I have a couple dozen chickens to cull and was wondering what those with more experience than I would consider the most effective way to bleed them out so that the meat freezes well.

Thanks!

I like to hang them by their feet and slice the neck, letting them hang for a couple of minutes. Then finish the processing and soaking in ice water to cool the bird after they are plucked and gutted. Then I like to let them rest in the fridge for 2-3 days for the meat to "settle". Then freeze in zip bags or vacuum bags.

IMO, the best and easiest way is to use a killing cone of some sort (when I only did a few at a time, a traffic cone with the tip trimmed back worked fine), and cutting the throat works best. The cone keeps the flapping and blood contained better and being upside down helps the blood drain well.

Kill Cone and Sharp Knife for Sure!

Here is a video of me bleeding out a chicken with instruction:

Bleeding Out A Chicken (Featherman came to Polyface will I was an apprentice and filmed this video)

Here is another video I did a couple weeks ago wearing a GoPro:

Thrifty Farmer: Butchering Chickens At Polyface

Here are a couple links for killing cones:

Featherman Killing Cones
Amazon Killing Cones

Here is a Link to the Knife we currently use for Killing:

Dexter-Russell 6 Inch Hollow Ground Deboning Knife

Hope this Helps!!

Last edited:
I send mine down the road to the Amish farm
lau.gif

I'm in West Salem Ohio. which is North Central Ohio. I love those trades, even if we don't trade they usually only charge 1.50 per a bird

Back
Top Bottom