Best Store Bought nestboxes

swar40

In the Brooder
Jan 15, 2018
Looking for the best premade nest boxes. Will eventually have about 30 chickens. I was thinking possibly a roll out box so I don’t end up with egg eaters but I am open to anything. My husband is building our coop and he has had enough, so not building nest boxes!!!

Last edited:
I have tried many options, and to my surprise, my chickens all prefer plastic milk crates.

Do you put anything inside the milk crate?
Yes, hay. People use straw, grass clippings, shavings...
edited to add, I put a piece of wood cut to fit the bottom, under the hay.

Last edited:
EA94AE60-35DA-4C3A-908D-32BA4A68611F.jpeg We used empty plastic kitty litter bins and they worked great!

Looking for the best pre made nest boxes.
I use plastic milk crates also. They will accommodate a paint tray which I do not need to employ yet.

I have 68 trips around the sun for decades I have been raising chickens
For years I have been lining my nest boxes with the folded empty nylon mesh feed bags.

When a bag gets soiled pop out the soiled and pop in another. Poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off when left out in the sun to bake and dry. It is the best method I have stumbled upon in my 67 trips around the sun.

Oh! Remove the excess string from the open end of the bag it can get tangled in your birds legs and wings.
Easy Peasy Japaneasy.

Back
Top Bottom