Best Tasting Chicken Breed

Quote:
That is a suprise to me, I can taste a huge difference in store bought vs cornish cross vs a heritage breed. Do you use alot of sauce?

Steve in NC

I wonder if you could in a blind test though?? Haha, in college, we all thought Natural Light was cheap, nasty beer and Bud Light was much better. Then we did a blind taste test in plastic cups and no one could tell the difference.

I will take that bet any time! Store bought vs cornish X vs Buff Orps vs Dark Cornish vs Cuckoo Marans vs RIR. We eat the last 4 on a weekly/monthly basis.
Steve in NC

Quote:
I don't see why, if you are talking about eating dual purpose or heritage breeds. You might get a better conversion ratio if you feed the meat birds more protein, of course. But the roos are tenderest and tastiest before the hens start laying. At that point they are on grower which is a higher protein % than layer. We did this and still have a few roos to do, though the girls have just started laying and are being switched over to layer feed. Maybe we will have a few ounces less meat on the roos, but the calcium isn't going to hurt them or us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I wonder if you could in a blind test though?? Haha, in college, we all thought Natural Light was cheap, nasty beer and Bud Light was much better. Then we did a blind taste test in plastic cups and no one could tell the difference.

I will take that bet any time! Store bought vs cornish X vs Buff Orps vs Dark Cornish vs Cuckoo Marans vs RIR. We eat the last 4 on a weekly/monthly basis.
Steve in NC

maybe I could tell the difference between a store bought and one of my home grown ones.. It has been so long since I ate store bought chicken that I forgot what it tastes like.. but I know I cannot tell the difference between a home grown RIR and a Buff Orp or even the mutt roosters..

Now, beer blind taste test? Or wine? I am up for that.. I was a wine judge at the local county fair.

One tip for judging,,,,,,,,do NOT swallow.. You get buzzed enough without swallowing after 25 or 30 tastes, just from what lingers in your mouth.
lau.gif

....jiminwisc........

This is really a good dialog. I am so happy to have so many opinions.

Today, my 38 chicks are 3 weeks and 2 days old. With the help of my mom and a friend, we cleaned out the pen and weighed and documented details on everyone. Boy am I tired and feeling grubbie. Nice long bath tonight.

I had assumed that McMurray hatchery had included some Cornish X in my super duper mix of 25 roos. To my amazement I have two Black chickens that weigh a full 2 ounces more than any other chicken. They came in at a whopping 10.6 and 10.3 ounces. They are Black with some white. Anybody hazard a guess what these guys might be. I am thinking possibly Jersey Giants. I am also thinking not Cornish X since the whites were all in the 7-8 oz size.

Anybody have any data on what a Cornish x would weigh at 3 weeks?

Anyway, Assuming that both are male and not the one Australorp hen that I ordered, they will be visiting the table sometime this fall.

Last edited:
Quote:
Steve in NC

maybe I could tell the difference between a store bought and one of my home grown ones.. It has been so long since I ate store bought chicken that I forgot what it tastes like.. but I know I cannot tell the difference between a home grown RIR and a Buff Orp or even the mutt roosters..

Now, beer blind taste test? Or wine? I am up for that.. I was a wine judge at the local county fair.

One tip for judging,,,,,,,,do NOT swallow.. You get buzzed enough without swallowing after 25 or 30 tastes, just from what lingers in your mouth.
lau.gif

....jiminwisc........

Haha, well, keep in mind, we were about 19... er... 21 at the time, so we hadn't really developed a keen sense of beer taste yet. But we were surprised nontheless!

Quote:

lau.gif

....jiminwisc........

Haha, well, keep in mind, we were about 19... er... 21 at the time, so we hadn't really developed a keen sense of beer taste yet. But we were surprised nontheless!

and not to mention that the idea came up half way through a pony?
when your taste buds were at their peak??

gig.gif

Quote:

and not to mention that the idea came up half way through a pony?
when your taste buds were at their peak??

gig.gif

More than likely!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom