best thermostat for home made incubator??

naightengale

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 13, 2013
Rocky Mount VA.
My Coop
My Coop
im currently useing a hot water heater stat and its keeping my bator between 95% and 101% at egg level....
but i see every one else says they are maintained at 99... is it my thermo stat or my bator ......99.9% junk pile home made "junkubator" only thing bought was the thermostat as i didnt trust the junk one i thought it was causeing this prob but evidently its not...
please say a good stat will fix my prob.
it does take it some time to go from one to the other.. so i think my bator is holding the heat well

help?? is this flux ok ?? i have seen several people talk about cool down cycles as well.

im currently useing a hot water heater stat and its keeping my bator between 95% and 101% at egg level....
but i see every one else says they are maintained at 99... is it my thermo stat or my bator ......99.9% junk pile home made "junkubator" only thing bought was the thermostat as i didnt trust the junk one i thought it was causeing this prob but evidently its not...
please say a good stat will fix my prob.
it does take it some time to go from one to the other.. so i think my bator is holding the heat well

help?? is this flux ok ?? i have seen several people talk about cool down cycles as well.
if you do not have a fan then the temp should be 102 at the top of the eggs.

fan forced temp is 99F

I strongly recommend putting a PC fan in there and run it on an old phone charger that is 9-12V.

spend 20 bucks on an stc-1000 thermostat and you will no longer have to worry

check out the bordeax bator in my link below

good luck

http://www.amazon.com/All-Purpose-T...=UTF8&qid=1376978889&sr=8-1&keywords=stc-1000

Last edited:
thank you and my bater has 2 fans. a pc fan and a old space heater fan. it gets great air. ...should i maybe raise the level at which the thermostat sits?? right now i have it just slightly below egg level...(everything is under the eggs...
heres some pics of it

............................................^
if youlook close you can see the access hole for the thermostat under and between the middle turner rods

thermo stat is .....................^.......there

ok so are my themometers maybe the problem?? reading wacky?? i have two digital and two analog ones in there its really hard to see just what the analog ones say but appears to be between 101 and 97... and my two digital one hardly ever read the same as eash other.. even when side by side....they flux 102 to 95.......
now just as an eggsperiment i blew out an egg filled it with hair condtioner and stuck a digital probe meat thermometer in it and hot glued it shut...now THAT temp slowly rose to 99 and is staying there.....no deviations yet....i put this "probe" in one of the unfilled slots in my egg cartons so its right in with the eggs.

ideas???

Supposedly the most accurate analog thermometer would be a mercury filled one, then an alcohol one. The dial type use a bimetallic spring and they are notoriously inaccurate. Digital are great, but you have to assume it was calibrated correctly. I use a couple of them in there and sometimes put them next to each other to see if there is a variance. You might want to check out amazon and purchase one of the digital thermostats (type "110V digital thermostat". sainn is the place I bought it from). I bought one for 20 bucks and I found it well worth it to decrease my anal retentiveness to open the bator and adjust the hot water thermostat constantly. There was someone here that posted how to modify the hot water heater thermostat by drilling holes in the bakelite housing so it'll be more sensitive and accurate to temperature changes. I wasted money on two of those before realizing the digital one is less trouble. Remember a hen doesn't regulate the temp at all. She just maintains a less detrimental temperature gradient for them.

Last edited:
Supposedly the most accurate analog thermometer would be a mercury filled one, then an alcohol one.  The dial type use a bimetallic spring and they are notoriously inaccurate.  Digital are great, but you have to assume it was calibrated correctly.  I use a couple of them in there and sometimes put them next to each other to see if there is a variance.  You might want to check out amazon and purchase one of the digital thermostats (type "110V digital thermostat".  sainn is the place I bought it from).  I bought one for 20 bucks and I found it well worth it to decrease my anal retentiveness to open the bator and adjust the hot water thermostat constantly.  There was someone here that posted how to modify the hot water heater thermostat by drilling holes in the bakelite housing so it'll be more sensitive and accurate to temperature changes.  I wasted money on two of those before realizing the digital one is less trouble.  Remember a hen doesn't regulate the temp at all.  She just maintains a less detrimental temperature gradient for them.
. That's all I use is the hw stats if you drill them correctly you will have a temp variance of less than 2 degrees I have 4 home made bators with those stats they are only 8 bucks and work just as well as 20$ ones,but the trick is to drill correctly and turn them backwards toward the heat source and you won't have a problem.

Wantedman66 is correct. You want to make sure that the back side of the thermostat (the metal side) is facing the lightbulb, and that it is only 1 1/2-2 inches away from the bulb. I also use 2 bulbs in my homemade incubators. Hope this helps.

. That's all I use is the hw stats if you drill them correctly you will have a temp variance of less than 2 degrees I have 4 home made bators with those stats they are only 8 bucks and work just as well as 20$ ones,but the trick is to drill correctly and turn them backwards toward the heat source and you won't have a problem.

I know this is an old thread but I am hoping someone can answer me: What does it mean to drill the thermostat?:confused: :caf

Back
Top Bottom