Best time to order chicks

CHICKENX2005

Songster
Feb 2, 2024
I know it's best to order chicks during the more mild months but if I couldn't meaning if I had to order them either in the cold or in the hottest time of the year which one is better. And what time of the year do you have the most success raising chicks?

I like getting mine in May. It's warm enough I don't need to provide as much extra heat and I can get them out sooner. It's also more natural for chicks to be raised in warmer weather.

If I lived someone warmer I might raise them sooner or later. It all can depend on the climate in your area.

I once raised some in the fall, and they didn't get to go outside until the following spring. I prefer my chicks to be able to run on grass when younger, so I will never do that again.

I pre order chicks as soon as hatcheries are accepting orders, but I have them delivered end of March, beginning of April, , so they'll hopefully they'll through the winter
I also order them as soon as the hatchery is excepting orders for the new year and have them shipped to me the beginning of March.

Back
Top Bottom