Where can you buy chicks online that have low minimum order requirements?

silentnanny

Chirping
Jul 28, 2021
I've been so frustrated, two of the feed stores near me, the person in front of me bought *all* of the shipment of chicks. This happened not once, but twice in the last week! I only have room for a max of 6 chickens too so its not like I need a lot!... It also gets tough for me due to work, and many places make their chicks available for example at 10am on a workday, but by the time I can leave they're already sold out. I'm so frustrated!!!

So I'm looking online, but many places require 6-12-25 minimum orders :'( which I don't have space for.

Where can you order online that don't require such a high number? Or where else do you get chicks from?

Ouch - that sucks! A lot of stores won't allow that (if someone needs that many birds they're told to make a special order). Do you have a trusted friend, neighbor, relative that could maybe go on the days that chicks come in, to do a pick up for you?

I don't order online but I think My Pet Chicken specifically does smaller minimums. Other options would be private breeders/backyard breeders via things like CL, Facebook, etc. but if you go that route, be careful, do your research, and don't buy birds that you feel sorry for.

I'm actually somewhat surprised you found a 6 minimum. Those minimums are to allow the chicks to help keep each other warm as they need serious warmth when they are that young.

One possibility is to see if you can find someone that you can split an order with. Otherwise, I'd check private options as @rosemarythyme mentioned. Be aware that local sellers will be much more likely to have barnyard mixes and/or not have a real selection.

We order from Myers, 3 is the minimum, and they use heat packs for small orders, we actually have 4 coming in in 2.5 weeks. I've had good luck with them, but fingers crossed once again.

Last year I ordered from chickensforbackyards.com hatchery. They shipped with a heat pack. I ordered 3 females. They sent me 5. Which was ok...what was I to do anyway but keep them & take care of. One did turn out to be a rooster but he is friendly, funny & beautiful & I love him!
1000001010.jpg

Where can you order online that don't require such a high number? Or where else do you get chicks from?
Which country are you in? That could make a big difference. It can be very helpful if people put their general location in their profile so it shows up on these posts. Like mine shows up.

In the US each supplier (hatchery or drop shipper) has their own requirements. Sometimes the cost can be quite different. The time of year or post office they are going to might make a difference. They can either ship enough that their body heat will keep them warm in the expected temperatures or provide warming devices which cost extra.

Ideal doesn't have a minimum number, they have a minimum cost, but most have minimums for the chicks' safety during shipping.

Some shippers include extra free chicks when shipping conditions are forecast to be rough. Usually these are extra males they have extra. If you don't want any extra (especially boys) you might want to ask your supplier about their policies. These are often called "packing peanuts".

Do you have any feed stores near you that sell chicks? They can have minimum orders also but they may not be as many as some hatcheries.

If you go to the "Where am I? Where are you!" section of this forum you may find a thread with your state or country where you can chat with neighbors. They may have chicks for you or have very valuable local knowledge. If you start your own thread there put your location in the thread title to attract the attention of the people you want to see your post.

In the US call your local extension office. They could be a lot of help.

Some feed stores or even Rural King if it is near you, they usually will order for you from their vendor they use to place their orders. Recently the feed store near me placed a order for us along with their own order. The minimum is good because they order the minimum for resale and you can order what you want. You can always ask.

Back
Top Bottom