Best treatment for gapeworm?

One of my black astrorps has been sneezing. And gasps a little bit. My first thought was gape worm. But as I studied further...it is rare. I started to think, we have had torential rain of late, up to 5 inches. My chicken runs and huge pen have been mud. My sneezing Astro is the best wormer of the flock of 35. She will stay out in the rain and stuff herself on huge night crawlers! I picked her up an hour ago, and checked her mouth, nasal passages etc. Nothing to show gape. No discharge either. I hung her upside down, and she did the gasp thing for a few minutes, then I put her down. She sneezed again. Everyone else is fine, she is an excellent eater, they get fermented feed treats twice week, so probiotics they have. I think it is just a cold. ? I treated her with Vetrx, she liked that. I have sand in my coops this time of year and use DE all the time. Any input from anybody??

Sneezing is not a symptom of gapeworm, but that along with sneezing are signs of a respiratory disease. Infectious bronchitis or IB, mycoplasma or MG, coryza, ILT, and aspergillosis are common ones. Mold from wet conditions can cause aspergillosis. If she is active, alert, eating and drinking, she doesn't sound too sick. I would be cautious using DE, since it is irritating to lungs and can cause breathing problems. Make sure that you always have good overhead ventilation, limit dust in feed or bedding, keep the temperature cool with a fan in hot weather, and prevent wet or moldy conditions to decrease chances of respiratory diseases.

Last edited:
It is IMPOSSIBLE to keep chickens out of wet coditions outside! My coops are dry, the covered runs stay pretty dry. Dust is low. Plenty of fresh air. You can't control mother nature. I have had chickens for a few years, been around them my entire life. Lots of scary diseases mentioned here...what about just a "cold"? I understand the confusion by others. I guess I am an optimist not gonna think the worst tight off the bat. BTW , after the VetRx, she sneezed less, but happy, happy little hen!, I also have a new load of sand coming in. I put that cover the dirt in the runs and coops. Keeps dust down and drains better. Chickens pick their runs clean of grass in no time. I have to close off areas to recover grass.

I have read most of these posts, but not all, so if I repeat any information, I apologize. There is a website,

http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store2/ that sells all antibiotics, wormer, first aid, etc for chickens. He is a vet in Maryland. He is also available for phone consultation. Good place to get your supplies if needed. All meds, wormers, etc come with explicit directions. Give it a shot! Good luck!
:)

Old thread, I know buy have the same symptoms with two of my hens. THANK YOU for posting this. Lilypad has had horrible experience so have I. I had a sick hen 3 months ago and it was a process of Vets just ignoring me completely and treated me like I was wasting their time is a chicken. Truly saddened me deeply. I will use the link and hopefully get some directions with my girls as well. Thanks so much - Utah Lisa

Old thread, I know buy have the same symptoms with two of my hens. THANK YOU for posting this. Lilypad has had horrible experience so have I. I had a sick hen 3 months ago and it was a process of Vets just ignoring me completely and treated me like I was wasting their time is a chicken. Truly saddened me deeply. I will use the link and hopefully get some directions with my girls as well. Thanks so much - Utah Lisa
Welcome to BYC! First State Vet as lots of good stuff for sale, but some items are really expensive, so do shop around.

You should also know is that he is not a doctor. I'm sure he's quite knowledgable, but last I checked he did not have any type of medical degree

I've read that Valbazen is the best dewormer if your birds have gapeworms. I believe that Safeguard can also work if you give it in a strong enough dosage twice.

I'm not so sure that your chickens have gapeworm. Gapeworm is relatively rare. You can tell for sure if they have gapeworm by swabbing their throats with a cotton swab (the worms will appear as thin red strings).

A respiratory infection might be the real cause. Respiratory diseases can cause rattling, head shaking, gurgling, sneezing, and coughing. Depending on the strain/severity of the disease, you might notice only a few symptoms, or lots of them. Just keep in mind that gapeworm is not the only problem that can cause the symptoms your birds are exhibiting.

Hope I've helped!

Hi - can you tell me how long after ingestion that gapeworm symptoms appear? Is it likely that only one chick might be parasitized, or would I expect more? I am dealing with a 4-week-old, lethargic, not able to swallow White Marans, in hot Davenport, IA. Also - please describe a throat swab in detail. Thank you!

I've read that Valbazen is the best dewormer if your birds have gapeworms. I believe that Safeguard can also work if you give it in a strong enough dosage twice.

I'm not so sure that your chickens have gapeworm. Gapeworm is relatively rare. You can tell for sure if they have gapeworm by swabbing their throats with a cotton swab (the worms will appear as thin red strings).

A respiratory infection might be the real cause. Respiratory diseases can cause rattling, head shaking, gurgling, sneezing, and coughing. Depending on the strain/severity of the disease, you might notice only a few symptoms, or lots of them. Just keep in mind that gapeworm is not the only problem that can cause the symptoms your birds are exhibiting.

Hope I've helped!

I may have a hen with gapeworm and I was wandering if ivermectin would do the trick

Back
Top Bottom