Gaping hen :(

I hope he pulls through!! Red finally stopped gaping and is doing great now! I did end up separating her from the main flock though, she just could NOT get a break as the favorite hen! So now she shares a small coop with my silkie hen and they're besties now.
That’s so good to hear! Our boy is pretty sick. We are doing a longer dosage of wormer. I get so frustrated on here so many people repeating that it’s very rare, when it is not. Hopefully he can pull through! 🙏🏼

I have a hen who is gaping and gasping for breath a lot. The severity ebbs and flows, sometimes it seems she's gasping and struggling with every single breath, and others she is just open mouth breathing quietly, with no wheezing or stretching her neck out. There have been some upper respiratory symptoms amongst the flock (sneezing mostly), and I started treatment of the whole flock with denagard yesterday. But this particular hen is the only one gaping (she does also sneeze). Her comb and wattles are still nice and red, no purple, and she seems mostly normal- eating and drinking, normal poo; only she hasn't been laying. She is isolated currently so she can rest.

Anyway, I dosed her with safeguard last night on the off chance it's gapeworms, but she is still gaping this morning. I thought maybe she was choking on something, but I don't feel anything in her throat, and don't see anything in her mouth, so I don't *think* it's anything lodged in there. Her nares seem clear, eyes look good. I have also been putting VetRx under her wings each night, although I'm not sure it's doing anything to help her breathing I figure it can't hurt.

Any thoughts? If it *is* gapeworm, how long before I should see symptoms resolve? Anything else I can be doing for her?
What did you do that helped this hen? My symptoms are the same and I’m also treating with Safeguard with no change. I don’t know how to administer the Tylosin 200 I have. Orally or injection? Do you know how much?

What did you do that helped this hen? My symptoms are the same and I’m also treating with Safeguard with no change. I don’t know how to administer the Tylosin 200 I have. Orally or injection? Do you know how much?
I gave safeguard and tylan 50, orally. And used vetrx under her wings, on her comb and legs to help alleviate symptoms. I don't remember the dosage of the tylan, it was based on her weight. She eventually improved, I'm not sure what actually helped her, I just threw everything I could think of that might help lol.

Back
Top Bottom