Best treatment for gapeworm?

how do you swab their throat? open their beaks and stick a q tip down?
If you are looking for gapeworms, they can only be seen in a dead chicken by cutting open the trachea or windpipe. Gapeworm is fairly rare, and can be confused with respiratory diseases such as ILT, MG, or coryza. Gapeworm is treated with fenbendazole (SafeGuard, Panacur) 1 ml for a standard size chicken given orally for 3 days in a row. Levamisole also can be used in successive days.

Thank you! I am running out today, of course a Sunday, to look for some of these meds. I appreciate the help! I'm pretty sure it's likely gapes as she is my number one earthworm muncher and always the one in the compost pile!

SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer is found at TSC stores, and the equine paste under SafeGuard or Panacur brands can be used for smaller flocks.

31210-233.jpg

100.jpg
shopping

Last edited:
I gave her a 1/2 cc of the 10% safeguard, but sadly we still just lost her! I am losing a ton of chickens to predators and now disease! very sad! I dosed the rest of the birds in their waterer so hopefully they make it if that is what is was. Now I am reading about tracheal or air sac mites and Im worried this could be it too.

I gave her a 1/2 cc of the 10% safeguard, but sadly we still just lost her! I am losing a ton of chickens to predators and now disease! very sad! I dosed the rest of the birds in their waterer so hopefully they make it if that is what is was. Now I am reading about tracheal or air sac mites and Im worried this could be it too.
Sorry for your loss. Are you also treating for a possible respiratory disease? Tylan 50 injectable given either orally or by a shot to each chicken, or oxytetracycline, or Gallimycin in the water may help. Testing is available through your state vet or local extension service here: http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf to find out what disease you are seeing.

Here is another link with the common respiratory diseases and their symptoms (look at MG, Coryza, ILT, and infectious bronchitis): http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
I may look into giving Tylan just to be sure. How many days do you give it for? I know you want to continue after symptoms even subside for a bit. Im observing the rest of my flock carefully and so far don't see anything definitive. I may just be being paranoid too! A few are panting, but it is summer. Don't hear any wheezing yet. Some seem a little lethargic but I did give the wormer there so...Thanks so much for your help. I truly appreciate it!

Tylan is given for 3-5 days. If giving injectable as a shot, I would treat for 3 days alternating different sides of the breast muscle daily. For oral administration of Tylan 50 or the soluble powder in drinking water, I would treat for 5 days. Make sure that coop ventilation is maximized, kept dry, fans used if necessary to lower temperatures, and wet or moldy conditions prevented, since those things have been known to increase the incidence of respiratory diseases..

Back
Top Bottom