Best U.S. college to study Poultry Science?

QueenMisha

Queen of the Coop
9 Years
Jan 14, 2015
Placerville, California, USA
For most of my life, I've never really considered going to college. But if there's anything I would actually be capable of being interested in studying, it's poultry. I've been told by a couple people now that I should at least try it for a few years. Anybody know which college has the best Poultry Science program?

There is a list of US colleges that offer a degree in poultry science along with a comparison of their poultry science degrees at http://colleges.startclass.com/d/o/Poultry-Science. I can't speak on most of them from personal experience, but I was enrolled at Texas A&M's pre-veterinary program back in the mid 1970s and it was excellent, and from all I've heard so is their poultry science program. Another poultry science program I've heard some really good reports on is that of the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville, AR.

The university of North Carolina has an excellent poultry science section. Georgia also has a good program. I know cornell has an excellent ag program, but I'm not sure how much poultry science they do.

Just something to keep in mind....my impression is most poultry science programs are geared toward raising commercial meaties or layers, not backyard birds or breeding exhibition birds. I'm sure you'd still learn a lot about nutrition, etc, but you might want to think about what end result and employment you're looking at eventually. Personally, I'm not getting an education just to work for Tyson.

I think getting a college education, and particularly in a science field, is one of the best things a person can do so I would never discourage someone from doing that. If you are interested then go for it! But one of my best friends has a PhD in poultry science and I agree with donrae, that field is mostly about the science of nutrition, formulating feed, etc. So if you aren't interested in those aspects you might be disappointed. If you interest lies more toward the care of chickens you might consider a veterinary degree instead. That won't be poultry specific of course.

Yes, but that is exactly the kind of education I'm looking for. I want insights into nutrition, genetics, management, etc. I'd like to someday open a (relatively) large hatchery - the birds would still be kept in a clean, spacious, humane environment, of course, but it would be ideal to have all the information I need about confined housing, ideal nutrition, breeding management, etc.

Virginia Tech has a joint Animal Science/ Poultry Science degree, and I believe it is a good one. And yes, most poultry science programs you will find are geared towards commercial operations. Unless you want to be a vet. Then you would major in animal sciences for your undergrad and if you can get accepted to a vet school, certain ones might have programs geared towards poultry-specific veterinary studies. But if you do major in Poultry Sciences, not all of your classes will be geared towards poultry. You will have to take a few other general science classes, maybe even math or English classes. Each college has its own graduation requirements. Also, if you do go to college, as you take different classes, you may discover an interest in another field and maybe want to do something else as a career, so keep that in mind.

Last edited:
There are lots of job opportunities in poultry, and not just in meat or eggs. There are jobs right now in public health (especially with all the AI stuff going on now). There are also jobs in genetics for companies like ISA and Hendrix for production birds. You could also find jobs in poultry with the USDA, county extension offices, animal health diagnostic labs, and so many other places.

If you are interested in some day having your own hatchery, I would recommend either a minor in business or a double major in business.

I did a B.S. In biology with a minor in business and right now I'm in school for veterinary medicine with a focus in poultry. There are poultry science masters programs though and also many phd projects that involve poultry.

What I would recommend you do is contact some of the professors at these schools that teach poultry classes and ask them about the programs and job opportunities after school. What I've found is that poultry people love their jobs and are eager to get others into the field.

Back
Top Bottom