Best way I've found yet to deal with snake problems!!

Pics
Quote:
Yes, snakes will kill bantam chickens even if they can't eat them. Some dead chickens have been found partially covered in a "slime" from where the snake tried to eat it and couldn't. I have lots of friends who have lost bantams to big snakes. I have actually killed a 9' snake here, it ate 5 of my peafowl eggs that were due to hatch in days. The peahen tried to kill it but the snake was just too big. The same snake had eaten 8 guinea keets just a week earlier.

Yes. to the rat snakes eating chickens...or attempting to. i had rat snake at another property/coop....ate my eggs, ate my babies, and tried to consume my Lovely Silkie, Sugar. I was furious.....he could not swallow her...so he suffocated her..it was terrible she was all slimy:sick I keep the deer netting over the fencing just for extra security. I've already caught one rat snake in the netting...just 3 weeks ago.

Quote:
Ditto here.

I did open the door to the coop once and had a small black snake fall on me. I freaked of course and tossed his butt out into the yard. When he got up in striking pose, I chopped him to smithereens. I've never had snakes like this rise up but they freak me out. If they take off I let them go but if they challenge me it's one they will lose real fast!

I need to ask. How did you dispose of them? Are "rat snakes" poisonous? I know copper heads are but we don't have them here in NY I don't think. I should research this huh?

Perhaps I don't want to know.

Oh dear. I share my home with really large rat snakes. I have skins in the attic and the basement. They stay out of sight. Well, we do knock on the door to the fusebox before opening it.

My cats kill baby snakes that do not know they should not climb the radiator pipes onto floors we occupy. I cannot abide mice, so I don't kill these huge snakes. Also, the house dates back to 1760, so I feel they have a more established right to the home than I who have only rented it for 2 years.

Now, I am worried. My chickens have not started laying yet. They still huddle together at the bottom of their hutch to sleep. The hutch is very close to one of the snake entrances to my basement.

Should I be worried that the snakes may opt for a large chicken or duck meal before coming inside to hibernate? Am I going to have surprise visitors once eggs start coming?

Last edited:
watching billy the exerminator i have learned way more about snakes then i have ever cared about
big_smile.png
i think the best way to tell if they are poisonous or not is by their eyes if they have slits they are poisonous and by their tails. still makes me creeped out even though they are on tv
hide.gif

All snakes have a purpose. I wouldn't want to mess with one but I could not kill it. I think there are places that will relocate them.

telling the difference isnt really all that hard.. primarily you are looking at their head and markings. its SAFER for you to Know the difference.

this may be of help http://maryeaudet.hubpages.com/hub/Rat-Snake-or-Copperhead--How-To-Tell-the-Difference

Personally i Never advocate killing a snake. there are alternatives that are preferable. however i Realize there are times for safety's sake it has to happen - if you Capture them why not contact local animal control to relocate/handle them. so problem solved for you and snake can continue its Rat eating career..

http://www.virginiaherpetologicalso...-likes/copperhead-look-a-likes/copperhead.asp

i would think they (the snakes) are more after the eggs and warmth than a chicken (well maybe a chick or two) -- the chickens are probably not overly happy being near a snake den just on general purposes BUT i would still rather have the snakes to RATS (yecch) or mice - they do FAR more damage... perhaps if you cannot move the birds (my first choice) you can deter the snakes by some sort of snake guard wire... wont make the birds any happier but will make them safer :)

Back
Top Bottom