Best way I've found yet to deal with snake problems!!

Pics
Ditto here.

I did open the door to the coop once and had a small black snake fall on me. I freaked of course and tossed his butt out into the yard. When he got up in striking pose, I chopped him to smithereens. I've never had snakes like this rise up but they freak me out. If they take off I let them go but if they challenge me it's one they will lose real fast!

I need to ask. How did you dispose of them? Are "rat snakes" poisonous? I know copper heads are but we don't have them here in NY I don't think. I should research this huh?

Perhaps I don't want to know.

no, rat snakes are not poisonous.. he probably went into a 'strike mode' to scare you cause you probably gave him a bigger scare :) -- they eat rats. LOTS of rats ----unfortunately they eat eggs & chicks too...

greetings, I live in north florida ,in a swamp hammock area, near the Suwannee river, and lets talk about snakes in my chicken pen! Oak snakes seem to be most present, and they actually hang around till a chicken lays an egg, then snake swoops down out of the trees, and eat my eggs. It is a daily race to see who eats eggs every day.. Snakes, or ME! I am going to try this trap, and if it works, then I will dance around your fire all night, then make us an omlet for breakfast. Dang snakes in my chicken pen!
barnie.gif

Thats a great way to catch snakes. My mom had an old minnow trap on her porch and in it was a rat snake. Ofcourse I was to blame, as if I caught the snake and was holding it in a minnow trap... Go figure..

@Elwood Lightfoot, thanks for starting this thread, lots of good information. Spring is just around the corner and the war on snakes will begin. I HOPE I do not find any venomous snakes this year but I am certain there will be plenty of others to deal with... or try to make a deal with. lol I don't like to kill the non-venomous and usually I don't but the venomous will die if I have my way. The pictures of the copperheads are creepy enough!

I already had two of these very common minnow traps at home but I stumbled on to one at walmart that was cheap and thought "I bet that would work!"
I set it along the wall inside of my coop and 2 days later had a rat snake in it, A couple days later a copperhead and then another, so I dug around till I found the two old traps and set them inside also and today I had two more copperheads, I knew I had snakes but didn't know it was this bad and am really loving the effectiveness of the Minnow/Snake traps, I figured if anyone else hadn't already thought this one up I'd share it and maybe it can help others save a few birds and eggs, Happy hunting and thanks for looking, Bill

48473_snaketrap2_009.jpg
48473_snaketrap2_004.jpg
48473_snaketrap2_003.jpg
48473_snaketrap_066.jpg
48473_snaketrap_061.jpg
48473_snaketrap_057.jpg
48473_snaketrap_014.jpg
48473_snaketrap_001.jpg
48473_snaketrap_006.jpg
48473_snaketrap2_011.jpg
Holy crap! I just saw this -- I know the post a couple years old... but .. We do have rattlers and now we have chickens since last August. And since it just started to be in the 80s today, the snakes will come out soon. Very grateful -- thank you

Back
Top Bottom