best way to candle quail eggs?

mxpres

Songster
11 Years
Jan 21, 2009
Lenoir,NC
How hard are quail eggs to candle?I am on day six incubating 40 eggs,with the spots and small size looks like it would be almost impossible to see anything,thanks

As A Rule It Is Nearly Impossible To See Anything With Coturnix Or Button Eggs, It Will Certainly Be Impossible To See At Day 6--- Day 14 Or 15 You May Be Able To See The Air Sack, But Thats About All...

Last edited:
If they are too speckled wait till 10-12 days and float them. That is what I do. Ignore the people that says it takes the coating off the egg. Never had a problem with floating them. You just have to make sure the temp of the water is 99c. If they wobble they are alive - if they sink they are tossed - if they float and not wobble still keep them because they still might hatch or they could be a little behind the rest.
Candling is great for chickens and light coloured quail eggs without spots, but quail eggs are also thicker and harder to see through.
Take it from me if you want to see if they are alive float them and you will really see in day light.

Quote:
thanks for the replys from everyone.If they float that means they have an air pocket,,I'm not even going to wonder why I didn,t think of that,,thanks again

Your welcome and yes floating means air pocket.
There are just alot of anti floating people out there, but quail eggs are way more thicker than chicken eggs. Its also fun to see them wobble, it only takes 20 seconds to see it and in water the same temp as the incubator, they wont die from temperature change and they wont drown as long as they haven't started pipping (check the egg carefully for signs of pipping).

Quote:
She's absolutely correct! You can also use the float test to check them if they are overdue to hatch and your questioning live chick viability. Floating is frowned upon in many chicken and domestic fowl circles but alot of us gamebird folks use it regularly without any ill effects. Believe me if it were harmful i wouldnt do it to an ornimental pheasant egg that costs 10+ dollars!

Quote:
She's absolutely correct! You can also use the float test to check them if they are overdue to hatch and your questioning live chick viability. Floating is frowned upon in many chicken and domestic fowl circles but alot of us gamebird folks use it regularly without any ill effects. Believe me if it were harmful i wouldnt do it to an ornimental pheasant egg that costs 10+ dollars!

wow,,my first weeks groceries after I was married didn,t cost that much,On what day should I do the floating test before hatch date to see if I have any thats going to hatch?thanks for the information,thats very interesting,But in one way I feel kinda like a doctor frankenstein trying to create life

But in one way I feel kinda like a doctor frankenstein trying to create life

Think of it more like breakfast and dinner
wink.png

For regular eggs like coturnix or buttons i dont fool with it until i am trying to see if i have any late bloomers. I take the military approach--- "SET THEM ALL AND LET GOD SORT IT OUT" ---- So when i float test my regular eggs its usually a date after they are supposed to hatch and i am checking duds vs "hey you in there! hurry up will ya? I got more eggs waitin' on this hatcher! We aint got all week ya know!" ....

smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom