It's ok he didnt get any of them. I heard Weezy screaming (it was almost human it was so creepy!) and ran out with the dog and eventually scared him away. He was a jerk-stared me down while I threw rocks at him and even pointed the air pistol. If the cartridge hadn't been empty I could have got him between the eyes :he
Thank goodness. Our chickens are important to us and we are pretty protective of them. Hopefully my new setup will still keep them safe.

As has been stated above, half-inch hardware cloth FIRMLY fastened with either fence staples or fender washers -- ideally cover all exposed wire edges with trim boards.

0722211145.jpg

0517211950-jpg.2684655

Also, wire anti-dig skirting.

0827211228_HDR.jpg

And, if it seems appropriate in your area, electric hot wires.

All latches need to be firmly secured, including nestbox lids. Raccoons are strong, clever, and nimble-fingered. They CAN work ordinary barrel bolts. All my doors and nestboxes have 2 latches to make it even harder to open and to minimize the chance of a warped door allowing a predator access.

0917211628a_HDR.jpg

I use a dog kennel with 2x4 openings in the wire and an attached roof. The bottom 3 ft are also covered in hardware cloth. I use combination tumbler locks in everything. Surrounding the whole set up and a 500 sq ft chicken yard/duck pool is electrified poultry netting. The yard us also covered in heavy duty bird netting. I have a LOT of predators here, though. Like a lot.

With raccoons, as others have said: hardware cloth, some sort of roof, latches/locks.

Electricity works wonders, and is pretty cheap. An energizer, some fence wire, some insulators, and a battery, solar, or plug-in energy source, and you're good. One hotwire at the bottom of the fence, one a few feet up, and one at the top.

I really thought it would be difficult to set up the electric, but it wasn't at all. And the energizer was the most expensive bit at around $100. But it's been going strong for years now on a rechargeable battery.

Back
Top Bottom