Best way to mark chicks

Usually what I do is, before the hatch, but each bloodline of eggs in different corners or areas of the incubator. When they hatch, I wait for or lure the chicks underneath the ventplug, then mark them with certain colors of a marker thin enough to fit through the vent plug.

When they're pulled out, I mark them with their color again as soon as the colors fade. It's temporary, small, and doesn't harm them.
smile.png
If the chicks are, say, black - I keep track of what white markings or foot markings they have. Some people just separate the incubator into sections with cardboard though.

Otherwise, I just keep them marked with colors.

We have a wire divider in our incubators(see the plural there
big_smile.png
) so they stay where they belong until I remove them.My divider is in quarters so sometimes when I have more I just make sure to hatch 2 totally opposite breeds or colors in the same quarter so no mistakes.When they are out they are banded immediately with different colors and recorded..so I know what each breed or where they came from all the time..then as they grow I change out the band until they get their adult leg band.

I am thinking you can get those ties that they sell at the nurseries to hold up plant branches. They come in rolls of different colors. They look like those ties some people use for trash bags. Just wrap them loosely around the ankles.

Back
Top Bottom