Best way to put down a cat in a peaceful way?

Areeba

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 31, 2011
Hello all, hope you people are doing well. I want to know how to put down a cat peacefully?

I have a kitten who just recently got FIP and some sort of blockage. The vet is not ready to put him down saying that he is not sure either it's FIP or blockage. He just took x ray no blood tests. Drained up 3cc of fluid and it was thin yellow fluid. Still belly is full of that fluid. He was not doing any poop for 5 days...

Just given laxative and then he did poo . But did not drain up fluid from his belly except for just 3 cc.

He is just drinking water no more interested in any sort of cat food or tuna. Too much weak now , not active at all. He is in too much pain I can feel that so I need help regarding this. Vet said there is no treatment for FIP so far but on the other hand he said it might be a blockage in intestines that's why fluid is building up in belly.

Thanks.

Actually I don't understand what he is waiting for? Before this I had a cat who got rat poison and I took him to the vet and he said no vomiting , no soft stools it's not rat poison. He did not put that cat down or he did not trust me . Just given antibiotic .

In just about 6-7 hours he got difficulty in breathing , got seizures and all. And then it died in my hands...In 1 hour.

Now I don't want the same to fight for life for about an hour..Very painful period..To go through.

Go to another vet?

We're a 2nd amendment family so we put our own animals down. I know how to euthanize a mouse or baby chick with Co2, but not sure how do a kitten that old......unless you're comfortable doing it yourself, I'd sure say visit another vet and have them do it.

Sorry about your kitten...
hugs.gif

Go to another vet?

We're a 2nd amendment family so we put our own animals down. I know how to euthanize a mouse or baby chick with Co2, but not sure how do a kitten that old......unless you're comfortable doing it yourself, I'd sure say visit another vet and have them do it.

Sorry about your kitten...
hugs.gif
I wanted to say something along those lines but wasn't sure if it was politically correct enough for on here.

My husband had a cat that was very old and was no longer eating or drinking. I dont know if its the best way, but he snapped its neck after petting him to sleep. Some people act like hes a crazy cat killer but he had the cat his whole life and could bare thinking that his last moments would be freaking out at a vets office.

Personally I would find another vet. I'm sorry that you are going throught this :[[

I am so sorry about your sweet kitty -- I lost a favorite kitty to FIP a few years ago and I know what a horrible situation it is to be in. As mentioned above, if the vet you are seeing is unwilling to provide the service to you that you want for your pet you need to find another vet.
If you are able and comfortable doing so you can put the cat down yourself as mentioned above by @donrae - but it has to be done accurately to be humane and if you are not sure of yourself it is not something to try. Do you have a friend or family member who might be better able to do it for you if another vet is not an option?

If a veterinarian is not right for you, I always encourage people to seek out a new one. It is important we feel comfortable with the options offered to us for our pets because they are such a huge part of our family.

CO2 euthanasia is very tricky. It can be dangerous to operate (even by trained professionals, the equipment needs to be in perfect shape, and honestly in my opinion, it is not a very nice death. Every euthanasia Ive seen using CO2 chambers involved flailing and what appeared to be suffocation before the animal was truly dead. All these reasons listed above are why shelters are moving away from using CO2 chambers. It is also very difficult to control the percentage of CO2 in a home made chamber, and at certain percentages, CO2 becomes painful when exposed to tissues around the mouth and eyes. I would not recommend this method of euthanasia for any pet, even though I believe the AVMA sill says it is a humane way to euthanize an animal.

Here is the AVMA statement on euthanasia, so you can read more about it. Several of these methods must be performed by a trained individual though, especially those involving the administration of drugs.

https://www.avma.org/KB/Policies/Documents/euthanasia.pdf

I'm sorry about your kitty! It is always hard to lose them.

Back
Top Bottom