Best way to treat hen's swollen eye?

ChickadeeBee

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2020
MA
Hello,

I have tried to read up on other's swollen eye postings that google pulled up over the years, and it seems my choices are Tylan or Terramycin but I would greatly appreciate some guidance! I want to avoid Tylan if I can, not because I have to throw out her eggs, but because hate to keep her separated for a week from the flock. But I also want to make sure whatever I do works- some said Terramycin did nothing for them.

I have a 2yr old hen that suddenly started getting a swollen bump in front of her right eye maybe 4-5 days ago, and some bubbles forming. I noticed she was closing it (keeping the other open) on and off. She has had a slightly pale comb/wattles for a couple weeks but behaves completely normal and not lethargic. While observing her more I noticed 2 days ago she would also occasionally open her mouth for a few seconds at a time. Not gasping, just barely wide enough to stick a toothpick inbetween. Normal appetite, no fighting with other birds. She does shake her head more often now but I imagine it's from the discomfort. No nasal discharge. No foul smell.

At first I didn't know if it was an injury or stuck object, but it seems to be neither. (She also currently has pinless peepers on because she's naughty and likes to eat bum feathers. The peepers are unrelated to the swollen eye though as they have been on for a while before this and they don't bother her- we trimmed the nose insert piece a bit so it's less invasive)

Environment- they have a large dry covered run, and an enclosed outdoor run with tree cover, not sure if wild birds could have brought anything overhead.

The pictures are from 3 days ago- her eye almost seems to be a tiny bit less swollen today but my eyes might be fooling me. And from the pictures I know it looks tiny, but it's bigger in person I swear. 😅 I want to fix it early before it gets too big!

Does anyone know what kind of infection this could be and if it's contagious? No other birds are showing symptoms.

Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_5673.jpg
    IMG_5673.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5675.jpg
    IMG_5675.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 10
It's probably an URI (upper respiratory infection) which is contagious. Tylan is the answer to that, however it's recommended she ge isolated from the flock (contagious ). Terramycin is good too ... So is Vetrycin & Triple Antibiotic.

I have a Serama that was hatched with "watery" eyes ... URI was the first thing that came to mind, culling to prevent spread to my egg layers. I raised her in the house, tried alot of different treatments & even took her to the Vet.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/upper-respirtory.1510479/

It's probably an URI (upper respiratory infection) which is contagious. Tylan is the answer to that, however it's recommended she ge isolated from the flock (contagious ). Terramycin is good too ... So is Vetrycin & Triple Antibiotic.

I have a Serama that was hatched with "watery" eyes ... URI was the first thing that came to mind, culling to prevent spread to my egg layers. I raised her in the house, tried alot of different treatments & even took her to the Vet.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/upper-respirtory.1510479/
Where exactly do you put the vetrycin or antibiotic cream? My hen has a swollen eye (worse today) but no open area.

Where exactly do you put the vetrycin or antibiotic cream? My hen has a swollen eye (worse today) but no open area.
I spray (Vetrycin) on a cotton ball (soak) & wipe/clean eye. The antibiotic (triple antibiotic) I put a dab on a QTip & apply to the eye. Do the Vetrycin first, have also tried VetRX which I applied (dab) under the wing. Not sure VetRX was much help but know for sure Triple Anitimiobic & Vetrycin combo seemed to help the most.

It's not an overnite treatment fix but helped the Serama I ended up acquiring.

Last edited:
I spray (Vetrycin) on a cotton ball (soak) & wipe/clean eye. The antibiotic (triple antibiotic) I put a dab on a QTip & apply to the eye. Do the Vetrycin first, have also tried VetRX which I applied (dab) under the wing. Not sure VetRX was much help but know for sure Triple Anitimiobic & Vetrycin combo seemed to help the most.

It's not an overnite treatment fix but helped the Serama I ended up acquiring.
Is vet RX used mainly for respiratory issues? Can this swelling be caused by a sinus issue?

Attachments

• 3E599B48-2C1A-4364-BFF5-B5261FAACCDB.jpeg
    3E599B48-2C1A-4364-BFF5-B5261FAACCDB.jpeg
    317.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 30F8B18E-59FD-4684-9105-E0EBC5C3F546.jpeg
    30F8B18E-59FD-4684-9105-E0EBC5C3F546.jpeg
    374.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 9448B622-89D2-43E4-8FEC-160F8570F752.jpeg
    9448B622-89D2-43E4-8FEC-160F8570F752.jpeg
    584.9 KB · Views: 9
Hello,

I have tried to read up on other's swollen eye postings that google pulled up over the years, and it seems my choices are Tylan or Terramycin but I would greatly appreciate some guidance! I want to avoid Tylan if I can, not because I have to throw out her eggs, but because hate to keep her separated for a week from the flock. But I also want to make sure whatever I do works- some said Terramycin did nothing for them.

I have a 2yr old hen that suddenly started getting a swollen bump in front of her right eye maybe 4-5 days ago, and some bubbles forming. I noticed she was closing it (keeping the other open) on and off. She has had a slightly pale comb/wattles for a couple weeks but behaves completely normal and not lethargic. While observing her more I noticed 2 days ago she would also occasionally open her mouth for a few seconds at a time. Not gasping, just barely wide enough to stick a toothpick inbetween. Normal appetite, no fighting with other birds. She does shake her head more often now but I imagine it's from the discomfort. No nasal discharge. No foul smell.

At first I didn't know if it was an injury or stuck object, but it seems to be neither. (She also currently has pinless peepers on because she's naughty and likes to eat bum feathers. The peepers are unrelated to the swollen eye though as they have been on for a while before this and they don't bother her- we trimmed the nose insert piece a bit so it's less invasive)

Environment- they have a large dry covered run, and an enclosed outdoor run with tree cover, not sure if wild birds could have brought anything overhead.

The pictures are from 3 days ago- her eye almost seems to be a tiny bit less swollen today but my eyes might be fooling me. And from the pictures I know it looks tiny, but it's bigger in person I swear. 😅 I want to fix it early before it gets too big!

Does anyone know what kind of infection this could be and if it's contagious? No other birds are showing symptoms.

Thank you!!
My chickens looked that that but unfortunately looks worse day3.

My chickens looked that that but unfortunately looks worse day3.
Do you see any bubbles or foam in the eye? If you look in the eyes of the chicken in post 1 you will see bubbles. A swollen eyelid or face can be a sign of a sinus infection, and bubbles are common in mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) Try to rule out a peck to the eye, a foreign body, or a sting around the eye. Take a flashlight and look into the roof of the beak for any white to yellow gunk. Vet Rx is simply a few herbal oils and some camphor, so it is not an antibiotic, but similar to Vicks.

If you think this is a respiratory disease, Tylan 50 given orally can help symptoms. You can also get the generic Tylosin powder to add to the water.

Do you see any bubbles or foam in the eye? If you look in the eyes of the chicken in post 1 you will see bubbles. A swollen eyelid or face can be a sign of a sinus infection, and bubbles are common in mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) Try to rule out a peck to the eye, a foreign body, or a sting around the eye. Take a flashlight and look into the roof of the beak for any white to yellow gunk. Vet Rx is simply a few herbal oils and some camphor, so it is not an antibiotic, but similar to Vicks.

If you think this is a respiratory disease, Tylan 50 given orally can help symptoms. You can also get the generic Tylosin powder to add to the water.
Very helpful, thank you 🙏 Oh wow, i do see the bubbles in the original post upon zooming in on the pic. My gal has no bubbles, would this rule out a sinus infection? I was thinking an abscess but the swelling did spread. This is day 3 and i cant say the swelling has gotten worse. I have done 3 saline washes, warm compress and the terramycin. Having no experience makes it tough but not impossible.....with guidance from you pros. Thank you again. 🐓❤️

Attachments

• F26AAE47-1C2F-4BCA-B214-61ABEEAD2AC4.jpeg
    F26AAE47-1C2F-4BCA-B214-61ABEEAD2AC4.jpeg
    626.9 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom