Best wood siding for coop??

patnbrandi

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana
We are building a coop and we live in a very high humidity area. I am trying to get the best type of wood siding to handle weather..without spending a fortune. I have been told to use t1-11 but I am unable to find TREATED! Would it be just as good to have t1-11 untreated and prime, paint and seal? Suggestions? HELP!!

It's quite a bit pricier than the treated wood siding...from what I've found researching a solution. I don't think this coop will EVER be finished!

It's been along time since I've bought any. When I lived in the Pacific NW, it was either cement board, or, primed cedar. Down here, everything is stucco.
I guess T1-11 would be as good as anything, with some oil based primer.

edit: what about metal?

Last edited:
If you have any mom and pop lumber yards check with them. I was able to get enough hardy board (cement board) siding to cover my coop, with some left over, all for free. It was pieces that were chipped, broken, or had gotten wet.
I bought all of my framing lumber from them and they were happy to throw in the siding for free.

My parents house that I grew up in had T1-11 painted siding and it lasted for a time 10-15 years. The siding was painted on the face and edges and the only pieces that we had to replace after that time period were the pieces that had direct contact to the ground, or where the siding was in contact with the patio and the snow and water had a prolonged contact with the siding. I built my coop and I wanted to use vinyl siding but it was to much money. I ended up using the T1-11 and wouldn't think twice about using it again.

Hope this helps

I used Smartside siding for my coop. It comes with a 50yr warranty. It looks as good as the day I nailed it up there on my coop four years ago. It has been through temps from over a hundred, to zero, rain, snow, hail, sleet, freeze/thaw. No delamination, or waviness in the panels. I paid $17 a sheet, but as you can see, the price has gone up. Good stuff.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_55897-132-27874_0__?productId=3058153

I used Smartside siding for my coop.  It comes with a 50yr warranty.  It looks as good as the day I nailed it up there on my coop four years ago.  It has been through temps from over a hundred, to zero, rain, snow, hail, sleet, freeze/thaw.  No delamination, or waviness in the panels.  I paid $17 a sheet, but as you can see, the price has gone up.  Good stuff.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_55897-132-27874_0__?productId=3058153

Question, you use the treated or untreated? Thanks!

Nevermind, answered my own question as I was finally able to get the Lowes website to cooperate. Thanks.

Last edited:
I second the Smartside. I have used on a playhouse and now on a coop. Looking for another project to use it on now...
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom