Best XL to jumbo white egg layer breed?

Birch Run Farm

Biddy up!
11 Years
Sep 5, 2008
VERMONT
I want to add some white shells to my egg basket and am considering a few leghorns or minorcas. Any other suggestions, pro's and con's of these breeds? I'd probably go with hatchery/production types as I have no plans to breed them, just for eating egg sales.

My vote is my black minorca's they are super layers and almost always larger than my leghorns..Xl daily and often jumbo's from them.My hens are not hatchery stock but my leghorns are-mostly since they are our egg producers and don't show them..have had no problems from them the white's also lay xl daily though.The colored leghorns don't lay as big as the Minorca's do...most often the colored leghorns are just large to xl here..and we have the leghorn rainbow
smile.png

Pros/Cons .Both are more unsociable than others some say flighty I don't none of ours are flighty.I don't mind not all 200 chickens are attacking me wanting attention so a few standing off is fine. Some think white gets ate faster so that could be a con against white leghorns-we haven't lost one yet.Both breeds lay young and often that's a plus all ways around..Both are small and don't eat as much as my big ol gals.
Ah heck..get both
big_smile.png

I have white leghorns and blue andalusians. My blues haven't started laying yet, so I can't say anything about them......my leghorns lay huge white eggs every. darn. day. They are not just unfriendly they are indeed downright flighty. They act like I am going to kill them if I am nearby...although they will run sort of close for treats. But they are great foragers, a smaller bird that isnt going to eat me out of house and home and are pretty to look at it. I think the white color probably does mean they would get eaten first, they sure stand out.

Back
Top Bottom