Big Chicken breeds (chunky/fluffy)

Speckled sussex are beautiful birds and good layers and a heavier breed. Look them up...you'll fall in love with them! :) How many chickens are you going to have? I could go on and on. :) People comment on my production reds and Wyandottes the most. Wyandottes come in all sorts of colors. Silver laced, Gold laced, red laced blue. It just depends on if you can find a breeder/hatchery with the colors you want. Barred rocks are pretty and fluffy and good layers too.

Last edited:
Speckled sussex are beautiful birds and good layers and a heavier breed. Look them up...you'll fall in love with them! :) How many chickens are you going to have? I could go on and on. :) People comment on my production reds and Wyandottes the most. Wyandottes come in all sorts of colors. Silver laced, Gold laced, red laced blue. It just depends on if you can find a breeder/hatchery with the colors you want. Barred rocks are pretty and fluffy and good layers too.

Oh wow! The speckled Sussex do have nice color! I've heard a lot about barred rocks never have got to see one in person sadly =(. I also heard that black orpingtons are up there in feather and nice egg producers.

What about some nice Silver Laced Wyandottes? For really good looking birds that meet the "type" you'll be better served to find a breeder that has birds that have the look you want than sourcing from hatcheries or feed stores, etc. It might help to find some poultry shows in your area so you can go and see birds you like/find the names of the person who has bred/is showing them and network that way.

Yea I was going to try local breeders I'm really about helping the ones near me, plus I'd get a little me knowledge on the parents and so on. I don't think I've heard of any poultry shows around here sadly =/.

oh I was also wandering... how are Speckled sussex, Wyandottes, Rhode Island Red, and Barred Rocks on wandering? If I was to try free range.

All mine (I have all but the speckled sussex.) are very good foragers (especially the RIR and BR) but they still come back to the coop at night.

oh ok1 Thanks you both have been a HUGE help!!
bow.gif
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom