Big Fan of Coffee Grounds

I don’t use real coffee grounds, like from my coffee maker or anything... I use coffee ground bedding that you get from TSC or Rural King
The Rural King website specifically states that their Coffee Grounds are Caffeine Free. Considering you can purchase De-Caffeinated Coffee, I would imagine that it is not difficult to manage that process. I can see where it could be a constipation issue for baby chicks so that would be something to avoid, but I don't see where a full grown chicken would have an issue with caffeine free grounds in a coop where they pretty much only sleep.

Taken from Website:
DETAILS
Great Scent. No Dust. Easy Clean.

That’s our motto! Our 100% All Natural Animal Bedding is made from 100% recycled coffee grounds. To answer the question you’re asking yourself - Yes! It is completely safe for your animals. There is no caffeine or anything harmful in our coffee grounds.

Our bedding makes your coop smell like your favorite local coffee shop, it doesn’t decompose and break down into dust, and it acts like a cat litter for your animals’ droppings, making for a quick and easy clean up! When you’re ready to swap out your used bedding for new, go ahead and toss our grounds in your compost pile or in the yard!

Grounds All Natural Animal Bedding is made from recycled coffee grounds and is great for chickens (chicks), ducks and turkeys!

Product Features:

• Grounds bedding has great coffee scent
  • Pet bedding has no dust and does not break down like traditional wood shavings
  • Small pet bedding is easy to clean and scoop out unwanted waste
  • Natural pest repellent
  • Longer-lasting clean coop, less maintenance required
  • Made in the USA from recycled coffee grounds with virtually no caffeine
  • Spread 0.5-1 in. depth in chicken coop!

Our coop is 3 ft by 5 ft for 6 Barred Rock Hens. They only go in the coop to lay eggs and sleep, so the size is just right. We've had chickens for 10 years now, and have always used Sweet PDZ in the bottom of the raised coop. Daily cleanup of last nights poop is a snap every day. BUT, the price of PDZ has gone through the roof this year. A 40 lb. bag at Tractor Supply used to be $10, now it's up to $18. So we looked for a cheaper method of coop bedding, and tried the pine shaving route for about 9 months. Hard to keep the coop as clean as I like and it's dusty as hell.

So after reading about the recycled coffee grounds used for bedding, we decided to give it a try. A 35 lb bag is only $10.99 at Tractor Supply, and 1 bag will cover our coop bottom about 2 inches deep all the way across. Same coverage as about $34 worth of PDZ. Daily clean up is ALMOST as easy as PDZ. We just use a common cat litter scooper to sift the poop, and plop last night's droppings in a bucket. The ONLY downside is that the coffee grounds are almost black in color, so spotting the poop to scoop takes a little bit of looking. BUT, the coffee grounds are even less dusty than PDZ!

So, compared to PDZ, the advantages of the coffee grounds bedding are:
1) Less than a third of the cost of PDZ
2) Less dusty than PDZ by far
3) About half of the weight of PDZ, which is important if using in a raised coop.

I'll let y'all know if I find any drawbacks, but right now I can't find any.

Ken
Hey was wondering how the coffee groups are going. I also at the moment use pine shaving and only clean once wvery few months. Dusty as all get out and it get keep layering up. Looking fie a better ground absorbent. Let me know what you have found out!

Thanks

I also want to add, DO NOT use it as chick bedding. It gets in the water, they ingest it and they die.
I was in our local Rural King this past week and saw they started using the grounds in with all of their baby chicks. I was surprised to see it. You would think they would know better if it is going to kill their chicks.

Back
Top Bottom