Big growth/scab coming out of chickens nostril

Jonqs

Hatching
Jun 7, 2023
Hi,
My silkie hen, 1 year old, has a growth coming out of her nose. We have removed it once with salt water to soften it although actually it was impossible and just had to be knocked off, it was hard and yellow in the middle, foul smelling and left her nostril red raw. She is not laying and is stretching her neck out sometimes for breath but otherwise behaving normally. She's now terrified of me because I think I hurt her last time. Tried again to remove but don't want to hurt her. I treated with appercox vloeibaar which someone said can be used to treat canker but no change. It's only in one nostril, no other hens have same symptoms. Outside of it is grey/brown looks like a scab. Please help!

Do you have a picture of her nostril? Can you look inside her beak and throat with a flashlight while someone hold her at the tongue and roof of her beak for any yellow or abnormal gunk? Take a picture with your phone if you see something. So called nasal canker is not really canker, but usually a build up of chicken feed, mucus, and dirt that can block the nostrils and turned to a concrete-like material. It can take several treatments to get it out. A QTip with hydrogen peroxide to soften the gunk, and a wooden toothpick or fingernail can be used to gently remove a little at a time. Just be careful to not damage the nostril more. Anything stuck inside the nostril for awhile is going to smell nasty. Hopefully, it is nothing more.

I am not familiar with Appercox, but it looks like a coccidiosis medication that might work against trich, another word for canker, when I looked it up.

As you can see it is growing into a big sort of sausage coming out of her nose! Getting bigger..

Attachments

• IMG-20240331-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20240331-WA0003.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-20240331-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20240331-WA0001.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom