Help! Possible Sinus Canker - Smelly, Blocked Nares

May 29, 2019
My 5 y/o RIR hen, Willow, has developed crusty nares over the last few weeks. I thought it was just compacted feed and dirt, and started trying to remove it, but it seems almost to be tissue-like, and today, I've noticed a foul smell developing from the area. I also noticed that she's not as energetic as usual--she's a bit slower and has been scratching or wiping her beak on the ground quite often (which signals discomfort in the area). No symptoms indicating respiratory distress, yet.

I was able to get a vet appointment for this coming Wednesday afternoon, but I was hoping I could help her in the meantime, because it seems to be getting worse each day. Unfortunately, I don't have fish zole on hand (I've ordered some). I have acified copper sulfate, but I'm not sure if that'd help with canker in her nasal cavities. Is there anything I can apply topically in the meantime? Internally?

Any help is much appreciated. Here are pictures for reference. The bridge of her nose is a bit swollen, too, though it was hard for me to catch on camera.

20240224_115947.jpg

20240224_120021.jpg

20240224_115949.jpg

Nasal canker is not really the same disease as canker/trichmoniasis that affects the inside of the beak, throat, and crop. But regular Canker can enter the nasal cavity, I think. If she just has old food and mucus that is caking inside her nostril, that can be common and may smell bad and be hard to remove like concrete. Have you had to remove anything from the nostrils so far?

It is good that you can see the vet, so they can look at a sample under the microscope to identify if it is actually canker trichmoniasis or blockage of the nares. Here is some reading about canker/trich which may be treated with metronidazole and other treatments:
https://www.bhwt.org.uk/hen-health/health-problems/oral-canker/

Nasal canker is not really the same disease as canker/trichmoniasis that affects the inside of the beak, throat, and crop. But regular Canker can enter the nasal cavity, I think. If she just has old food and mucus that is caking inside her nostril, that can be common and may smell bad and be hard to remove like concrete. Have you had to remove anything from the nostrils so far?

It is good that you can see the vet, so they can look at a sample under the microscope to identify if it is actually canker trichmoniasis or blockage of the nares. Here is some reading about canker/trich which may be treated with metronidazole and other treatments:
https://www.bhwt.org.uk/hen-health/health-problems/oral-canker/
I've tried softening with mineral oil and then gently trying to pick at it, but she seemed uncomfortable, and I admittedly might have been overly cautious/gentle. I was concerned already, but when I noticed the foul smell became very concerned (that's when I called the vet). No issues eating, drinking or breathing though she seems to scratch and scrape her beak more than others. It's heartening to know accumulation of food and other material could lead to a pungent odor--hoping it's just that.

Her appointment is Wednesday, so maybe the doctor will be more confident and effective in cleaning the nostrils and testing the material. In the meantime, I'm monitoring her and I've added ropapoultry to their water as a boost. I also ordered metronidazole, though I may not need it--guess I'll wait till Wednesday.

Thank you for your response and helpful resources!

Her appointment is Wednesday, so maybe the doctor will be more confident and effective in cleaning the nostrils and testing the material. In the meantime, I'm monitoring her and I've added ropapoultry to their water as a boost. I also ordered metronidazole, though I may not need it--guess I'll wait till Wednesday.
Please post again and let us know what the vet has to say, and what kind of treatment your girl gets. Sending positive waves!
:fl :fl

@Sally PB @Eggcessive

Just an update: I took her to the vet yesterday and she was a very good patient. The vet was a bit uncertain of what the issue is (he did not take a sample of the material, which was very dry and could only be worked on like sandpaper on wood--and whatever came off was dry dust). Some of the "growth" he thought was normal tissue from inside her nares and needn't be disturbed. He did take a fecal, so I'm waiting on that.

Anyway, the vet thinks that it could be material from coryza, though, in the absence of any other respiratory symptoms now or in the past (like bubbling eyes/discharge), he said that's unlikely. He also said it could be from a previous beak injury she had healed from, where her top beak broke off pretty high up (but below nares) and eventually grew back. He said this could cause excess scar tissue in the area which might cause some blockage/discomfort.

In the meantime, I'm giving her saline, antibiotic drops in each nare, 2x daily. He said it should soften material and treat infection topically, if there is one. Other than the, he indicated she seemed to be in good health and condition, and that I shouldn't be overly concerned at this time.

In short: a big shrug lol.

Back
Top Bottom