Big Nodules On Back of Hens Legs Scaly Leg mites??

Thank you all again. Your help is so appreciated. I looked at your pics Linda V I am so happy your girls recovered.
She has a limp now which is worse than it was the other day. I have seen bumblefoot in person and it doesn't look like the bumblefoot I saw before.
Someone I know had me take her as her chickens always seemed to peck her or the roosters chase her. Maybe they knew she was sick.
Today I followed all your instructions except using the toothbrush on her feet. Maybe tomorrow I will add that to it. I just felt like it might be too much for her. I soaked her, rinsed her legs in betadine, then I put a little ivermectin in water (pour on) and brushed it on her legs I then put neem oil on them then I put an ointment with calendula and other healing ingredients on her feet and back of legs, it's very thick. I then put a gauze pad on the back and lightly wrapped gauze around the upper portion of her legs where nodules are. I slathered on Vaseline on her feet upperand lower. I had earlier trimmed some feathers away also. I put baby socks over her feet. She can walk in them I put them on her the other day. I gave her the paste ivermectin, metacam for pain and inflammation, and an antibiotic incase she needs it as I feel she is going downhill and that she may need it. She feels lighter today. She did eat a lot of meat, I let another hen in and it makes her want to eat more. She also seems to be sitting around more and there is some crusty build up on the side of her foot which might make her limp too. It was a lot for her and I hope I didn't over do it.

I will see if I can find the Nustock. I'm willing to try anything. I have the triple antibiotic ointment I will use tomorrow instead of Vaseline.

Do I give her the ivermectin paste again in 10 days or when?

I kind of feel maybe it is something internal as well and the other chickens sensed it and that's why they chased her etc.

I will try everything to save the little sweetheart!

Thanks again!

then I put a little ivermectin in water (pour on) and brushed it on her legs....I gave her the paste ivermectin, metacam for pain and inflammation, and an antibiotic incase

Can you take her to a vet?
I would not administer any more Ivermectin at this time......it sounds like you are double dosing... either the pour on or the paste would be sufficient.

How much Ivermectin Paste did you give?
What antibiotic and dosage are you giving?

The Ivermectin will kill any scaly leg mites that she may have. I agree with @Eggcessive that it looks more like Pododermatitis on the back of the legs (infection). After soaking, it would be better to use a triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn.

FWIW***Ivermectin Pour On should be administered to the back of a chicken's neck as follows:
1 drop for chicks or tiny chickens, 3 drops for bantams, 4 drops for lightweight birds, 5 drops for large birds and 6 drops for heavy weight birds.

OMG....you are doing more for her than anything I've heard of before! I'm very impressed but I can't help you with regard to the Rx. I only held Abby's legs and feet in a coffee can filled to the top with Canola & olive oil for 5 mins x 8 times (once a week), then did the NuStock (you can use that on kids, dogs, cats, etc. but DO NOT ALLOW IT TO TOUCH ANY SILVER JEWELRY!), and finished with Vaseline, but by then...the mites were gone. That "nodule" is still there, but looks like it's in a death spiral...thank God!
I'm sorry, but at this point you need to go to the folks on here that have way more experience on chickens then this Mother Hen. I feel really sad and sorry for you right now and hope you find the cure for this sweet precious creature. I'll drop by now and then on BYC to see if you have any good news over the coming weeks to share with us. Be sure and take pics of the before/during and after for the next person who has to go thru this dreadful condition....we all benefit when we share - otherwise, my hens wouldn't be healthy and happy right now. Keep us posted, please!!!
Linda in NC

Thanks again for the help and support! Our girl seemed to feel better today. I am giving her 40cc of the Tylan 50, I am giving her50cc metacam. I previously read to pot the ivermectin on legs with diluted water but I won't do that anymore. I had given her a pea size amount of ivermectin paste like I read to give. I took bandages off and her nodules on back look less hard if that makes sense, a little softer looking.
She still had the ointment on her since she had her wraps and socks on. I just decided to get her to focus today on getting more food down her. She had eggsxand meat today. Tomorrow I will take pics and do her soaking routine again and post pics .
Thanks!

That is scaly leg mites.

In extreme cases scaly leg mites can result in the loss of a leg. Feathered footed chickens are one of those travestis inflicted on chickens by chicken breeders in a effort for the chicken breeder to prove how good of a breeder or selector of brood fowl he or she is. There is no benefit in feathered feet for either the chicken or the poultry keeper.

In an effort to educate the poultry keeper to what scaly leg mites do to your hens' health, the black gooey stuff beneath the foot scales on a scaly leg infected chicken is the feces of scaly leg mites.

Sorry I forgot the decimal.
Unfortunately we do not have a vet here that even gives a hoot about chickens

LOL Glad the decimal was omited:)
Do you know how much your girl weighs?

I understand you're frustrated, but do the best you can - soak the legs daily, get them as dry as you can and apply your ointment of choice (I still recommend triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn for your situation).

Do you have any updated photos so we can see her progress?

IMG_3948.JPG
Thank you I just worry that I am doing something wrong or hurting her.
I soaked her feet good and then did the betadine and after all was dry I put on the triple antibiotic ointment. She was pretty tired and I gave her some tuna and let her rest.

Unfortunately the I think even tho I trimmed her feathers I think I made a mistake putting socks on her feet to keep the Vaseline on her. I noticed her toes were swollen and I think the socks irritated the feathers I trimmed. I'm hoping the soaking will help with the swelling. I thought I would be helping her with them not causing more problems:(

You're doing fine:hugs The feet will take time to heal, they look to be in pretty bad shape - hopefully with the soaking and scrubbing off the debris you can get it under control.

Wrapping may have caused the swelling - but it could be infection. You may want to just house her on clean dry bedding or puppy pads. With chickens they walk in their poop, so it's hard to keep the feed pristine, so just do the best you can.

Back
Top Bottom