Big question, why did all of you new chicken owners get chickens?

trunkman

Songster
10 Years
Dec 26, 2009
Rock Hill SC
I'm really interested why all this new interest in chickens has come about in the past couple of years. My reason is that I've always been interested in having chickens for eggs and meat and to be self sufficient, especially if and when really hard times may come along which I believe they will, then I will be able to feed myself. How about you, why did you get chickens??
smile.png

Last edited:
I thought my four year old daughter would enjoy them and it would be good way to learn about responsibilty and chores. I also just like to watch chickens and taking care of them, its relaxing to me.

Quote:
My story is similar to yours, plus my father was raised on a farm, so I've always felt that lifestyle was in my blood. Someday I'll have acreage and live that dream, but for now it's just a few chickens in the backyard

I got somewhat interested 3 years ago when I went to a man's house to look at a horse he had for sale. Walking around at our feet were 2 of the prettiest Buff Orpington chickens which I had never see before. They were so big and pretty! I bought the horse, took him home and just thought about the chickens, but decided I didn't need anything else to take care of. So...fast forward 3 years. We live in the woods and the ticks are sooo bad every year! I called them Tennessee Jumping Tree Ticks, because I would get ticks on me if I went out to the sidewalk for 30 seconds! I told my husband they must be jumping on me from the trees! Anyway, late last winter I started thinking maybe having free range chickens would help the situation. He was less than enthused, but I bought 12 chicks anyway. I didn't want a rooster, I didn't want babies, I didn't want an incubator...I just wanted fewer ticks and fresh eggs. Now, I did end up with one RIR rooster out of my 12 sexed chicks. So I waited to see if he would irritate us or make too much noise. He hasn't so far and I make sure he knows I'M THE BOSS, so he doesn't try to flog me. He looks after the hens and stops any squabbles that break out amongst them. So now I'm thinking, wouldn't it be cute if we had some babies? Then a coworker said I could borrow his incubator and I think 'I wouldn't have to wait for a hen to go broody.' So...initally I got chickens for tick/bug control and fresh eggs, but I am slowly but surely crossing over the line of 'casual chicken ownership' to the 'going off the deep end'! I haven't borrowed the incubator yet, but I am craving $9.95/chick silver laced wyandottes from Pauls Poultry! Pray for me! I do really love to sit in my lawn chair and watch my chickens though! We call it chicken therapy!

Last edited:
Because I really wanted some animals. Chickens were doable. We do have a lot of property, but my dad isn't too keen on other (farm) animals, chickens are small, cute, eggs, and I have really enjoyed them!

We got chickens this summer to help with the plague of grasshoppers. It worked and we realized that it would be great to have fresh eggs and the meat from the extra roos was delicious! Fast forward to an incubator, one successful hatch, and another in the incubator. And I am still thinking of ways to get more coops and chickens!
lol.png

I've had had chickens for 20 years, moved to the city and was so sad i couldnt have chickens. New neighbor moved in WITH chickens, and within 2 days, i was back to chickens clucken happly in my yard. Only eggs i can eat every day, and they make me very peaceful..

I haven't actually got started but I know why I'm going to. My father inlaw is from the Philippines as are my wife and son. He likes to stay busy and I like acquiring hobbies. I started reading up on it (mostly from BYC) and thought it would be a great way to teach my son all sorts of lessons. My father inlaw had chickens in the Philippines so it will remind him of home and provide fresh eggs and every now and then fresh meat.

Back
Top Bottom