Big's Ricotta Pie

bigmike&nan

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Scenic Jackson New Jersey
My buddy Bob kept raving about this little ricotta pie he could buy in his local market. Last time I had him over for dinner I surprised him with one of my own. This is really easy to make and very good... Prepare four hours ahead of service time. You want to serve it at room temperature.

Mis en place

1 8 oz package cream cheese at room temp.
1 cup white sugar
1 16 oz tub of whole milk ricotta cheese, strained in a cheesecloth or soft towel
3 eggs
1 tsp. orange zest
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 Tbls. candied fruit, finely minced
1/4 cup raisins soaked for 1/2 hour in 1 cup Jack Daniels

1 premade pie crust, thawed

Your friends need a dessert, this one is SO easy to make... and properly served it is QUITE classy.

P1010052.jpg

Preparation:

Place ricotta in a piece of cheesecloth or linen towel, Bunch up top of towel until ricotta is in a ball and you can twist the top part of the towel and make the ricotta sweat most of it's extra milk. Set aside.

Unroll pie crust and place in bottom of very well buttered 7 inch cast iron skillet. Pie crust will overlap about 1 1/2 inches on all sides of pan. Prepare filling:

Cream the cream cheese and sugar in a mixer, scrape sides of mixer. Stop mixer and add ricotta, continue to cream mixture, stopping to scrape sides occasionally - cream until fluffy. Now add 1 egg and allow mixer to blend in well at medium high speed. Stop mixer and scrape down sides, start mixer and repeat process for each remaining egg... Now add orange zest, vanilla extract, nutmeg and minced candied fruit and mix on high speed one minute. Remove plumped raisins from Jack Daniels and add to mixer, allow to mix 20 seconds. Scrape down sides of mixer bowl and stir well, pour mixture into pie shell attempting to center the mass in the middle. Fold over edges of pie shell attractively overlapping them and garnish edges of pie shell and top of pie with 2 Tbls. white sugar. Bake pie at 425 for 35-45 minutes or until pie is only slightly jiggly in center.

Meanwhile drink the Jack Daniels you plumped the raisins in.

Remove pie to warm location free of drafts and let rest at least 2 hours.

Serve with whisky sauce and whipped cream...

P1010049.jpg

Last edited:
Mike, I'm presenting you with a free membership to the official BYC
"Real Men Can Cook" club. Once a month Buster, Steve, Al, and
I all meet and sing praise songs to a statue of Miss Prissy.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom