Biosecurity: Avian Influenza

dct10

Songster
Aug 24, 2020
Hello all. Not sure if a thread already exists on this topic, but it appears this avian flu is going to be bad. Does anyone have any suggestions on biosecurity where our backyard flocks are concerned? I have 20 chickens in 2 separate coops with 25x50 enclosed roofed runs. Last I checked, we now have cases of isolated backyard flocks across 7 states affected. Cases have also been confirmed in wild bird populations as well.

Roofed runs are in my opinion one of the biggest safeguards against AI. I have stopped allowing visitors with birds on my property, and I use separate shoes for chores. Apart for disinfecting foot baths and shower-in shower-out practices, there's not much more that can be done in a backyard setting.

Roofed runs are in my opinion one of the biggest safeguards against AI. I have stopped allowing visitors with birds on my property, and I use separate shoes for chores. Apart for disinfecting foot baths and shower-in shower-out practices, there's not much more that can be done in a backyard setting.
Thank You. Not so sure we should be allowing them to free range since the flu is spread by wild birds as well. The times we're living in!

Thank You. Not so sure we should be allowing them to free range since the flu is spread by wild birds as well. The times we're living in!
Our run is enclosed. Tin roof, and i am puting chicken wire on the 6ft dog fences i am using.

My ducks and Geese use a three-acre pond frequented by migratory birds, and spend nights in barns with my chickens 150 feet away. Roofed runs are not going to help in my case. I'm fate fodder and know it.

My ducks and Geese use a three-acre pond frequented by migratory birds, and spend nights in barns with my chickens 150 feet away. Roofed runs are not going to help in my case. I'm fate fodder and know it.
It's just a reality, we can't solve every problem! best of luck to your birds!

Back
Top Bottom