Birchen Marans Thread

Pics

Can someone help me identify my Marans, if possible? I purchased 2 Marans direct from Green Fire Farms and they are supposed to be FBCM but then, I wouldn't know the birchen from the copper as I am far from expert. They are a month old and I can't find chick pics at this age to help me identify them. GFF carries and sells both the Black Copper as well as the Birchens and thought maybe they gave me the Birchens. It seems they are both cockerels so I will be trying to sell them. Just want to be sure I am advertising them correctly.

I'm new to the Marans, but have decided to only breed them from here on out. Mine are about 5 months old now. Rooster is starting to crow. I was blessed to get 5 and they turned out to be 4 pullets and one cockerel. I'm excited. 2 Blue Coppers, one Black, one Birchen and the Rooster is a Blue Birchen (I'm told).

Is this girl a birchen maran?

here is my small flock of birchen Marans. The color is fabulous but my cock has sprigs on both sides of his comb. He is feather legged but they have broken off free ranging and we're somewhat sparse to begin with. The hen with the wonderful color is clean legged, as she was the result of a cross between English cuckoo Marans and a French type birchen cock.

They came from Rod Reeves. I love them and I love their dark speckled eggs. He is my only cock and I am in Montana so getting another is a chore, but if there is anyone close to South Central Montana, I am willing to find another. Getting shipping eggs here is not always successful, my flock started from shipping eggs though, had 4 hens and 3 cocks from shipped eggs over 2 batches of eggs. All cocks had comb issues but Jake here had the least issues with his comb and no copper bleedthrough at all. Still, a flaw is a flaw.

Back
Top Bottom