Birchen Marans Thread

Pics
@DCchicken, he/she is very pretty and so unusual! He/she looks like a pullet to me. How old is it?

Definitely a cockerel. He crows louder than any other rooster I have. I think in that picture he was like 10 weeks old. i think he is 14 weeks old now.

The Cemani pullet in the bottom picture was 4 months old when I took that picture. i put her in there for comparison.

Last edited:
Definitely a cockerel. He crows louder than any other rooster I have. I think in that picture he was like 10 weeks old. i think he is 14 weeks old now.

The Cemani pullet in the bottom picture was 4 months old when I took that picture. i put her in there for comparison.

Wow. That is interesting - a really cool combination of traits! I love his name, and he sounds like he has a big personality for a smaller bird. Thanks for sharing! I'd love to see his picture when he's fully mature.

Hi everyone, I hate to butt in here, but I have a new hen that I rescued, and I am not really sure what she is? I was thinking she was probably a 'mutt', but someone suggested she was a birchen black Maran? I have read the entire thread here looking to learn what I can, I have looked them up online, etc. Would you guys mind taking a look at her photo and tell me what you think? She is a doll no matter what she is. I was told she is 5 and lays really dark brown eggs. I have had about every common breed out there, but no Marans. This is Johnny

Hi everyone, I hate to butt in here, but I have a new hen that I rescued, and I am not really sure what she is? I was thinking she was probably a 'mutt', but someone suggested she was a birchen black Maran? I have read the entire thread here looking to learn what I can, I have looked them up online, etc. Would you guys mind taking a look at her photo and tell me what you think? She is a doll no matter what she is. I was told she is 5 and lays really dark brown eggs. I have had about every common breed out there, but no Marans. This is Johnny

I would say she is most likely mixed. She would have feathered legs if she was a birchen Marans. I have some mixed Marans that lay really dark eggs, but not the characteristic Marans eggs. So she could be a mixed Marans......hard to say. She's a pretty bird.

Last edited:
I would say she is most likely mixed. She would have feathered legs if she was a birchen Marans. I have some mixed Marans that lay really dark eggs, but not the characteristic Marans eggs. So she could be a mixed Marans......hard to say. She's a pretty bird.
If you look at the legs, they have a greeny-yellow undertone. More than likely the pads of the feet are a yellow as well. She is a mixed bird. I have some from a sale I went to that were included in with some Marans, that are just beautiful that went to the layer pen that look remarkably like her.

Back
Top Bottom