Bird Dogs?

That is wonderful to hear, DanEP. I feel better.

I even read an essay in the NYT about a woman who has a terrier and chickens. They get along fine.

I wonder how often, though, a pet dog suddenly turns on chickens and kills them?

I ask, because when i needed a hen last fall a woman e-mailed me that she was getting rid of her remaining chickens, because her dog (I don't recall the breed, but he was medium-sized, I think), who had peacefully co-existed with her chickens for 3 years had suddenly taking to killing them, and she feared for their safety and was giving them away. I wonder how common this sort of thing is, and what would make a formerly peaceful dog turn killer like that? It scares the heck out of me.

You can't bubblewrap chickens and protect them from the facts of life. Bad things happen to birds belonging to even the best of owners, be it predators, illness or unexpected death (there are more causes than just scratch) or aggressive roosters. Some roos are just born evil and nothing you do will alter that fact. Chickens taste good and predators will go though extravagant measures to get at one. Things happen so matter how well you prepare for them.

You gave those roosters a great home. Time to let them go and stop worrying.

Last edited:
Well, I did interview scads of prospective owners before giving the boys away. It's not like I let the first person who wanted them, have them. I went through about 24 people before I felt confident enough to give them away. They were getting so bored in their bachelor pen, that I thought it was time. I liked the idea of the cute young boy having them. He likes roosters and was very bright and answered all my questions to my satisfaction. He volunteered that he is a pastor's son, to sell me on the idea of giving them to him, I think. I thought that was darling. When he opened the door when I first met him, I liked his fresh young wholesome face. I wasn't as keen on his father, who was more rough-and-tough cowboy style, but I did the best I could. The process was exhausting. I loved those roosters, and I think they knew it. I was impressed that the father liked the looks of the #2 roo, who never got as much attention as my other 2 boys did. It was nice that the non-Alpha was the father's favorite.

I have a golden retreiver. Once I gave him some extra fried eggs. I had a daring white leghorn that took some of the egg right from the side of the dogs mouth. I had to do alot of trianing to keep him from chasing them but he gets along fine with the chickens.

That's great news, jeffreynila! Do you ever worry the dog might turn on the chickens at some point and start killing them? I've heard of such, and it worries me.

But you know, I can't remember our farm dogs ever killing our chickens. They grew up together. I remember the roosters really chasing the cats, but I don't remember the dogs chasing the chickens. We had mixed breeds on the farm, come down through a Dalmatian's lineage.

I have two cattle dogs and I only trust the male around my chicks. He has no desire to hurt any creature. He just wants to be included in anything I do. My female is crossed with a rat terrier and Although I dont think she would harm the birds she still gets excited when I show them to her. so better safe than sorry she isn't allowed in with them like he is. My son has a pit bull and a mixed bird, hound dog. and I dont think I would trust either one of them around my birds. They get very fiesty when they play together. I guess it depends on the dog and its upbringing. My sister has a plott hound who has been raised to ignore the poultry. she is a great dog and looks out for her feathered friends. Sounds like you have much love for your roo's. try to move forwards and assume they are doing great.

Here's my "bird dog" - Sonja. She has caught and killed wild ducks, but seems to understand that these birds are part of the family. Here she is, chick-sitting:

My Gully seems to "know" also. He is a killer of all other beasts, but loves the chickens. Withing 3 days of us having the chickens he cornered a big boar coon that came in nosing around. He normally dispatches of them pretty quick, but this one was a scrapper. My son had to give him a hand w/ his .22.

I was wanting to demonstrate to someone else the "whoa" command bird dog handlers use on their dogs, so I shot a little video of Gullivor and the chicks. He hasn't been hunted since he was a pup, but he is a pretty well trained dog and eager to please all humans.

http://s1019.photobucket.com/albums/af314/LoweBow/?action=view&current=613dbf4e.mp4

Hunting dogs can be fine with chickens if they are trained and exercised everyday. They are high energy dogs and if you don't exercise them and burn that off they will find other ways to do it which could be chasing chickens. My lab is born and bred to hunt birds, and we do it all the time. That being said it took me about 10 minutes to teach him chickens are off limits. He also learned the sounds they make when there's a strange animal in the yard and runs to their protection. I did however start training at 7 weeks old and he is extremely well mannered.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom