Bird Flu in our area - precautions?

Twiga

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
I live in Holland, There is a bird flu out break nearby ( within 30km of us) and farms have been culling. It is not the deadly H5N1 but needs to be taken seriously. What advice can anyone give for us to protect our 6 hobby chickens? They are normally free range but I could lock them in - but that might be OTT and they would get restless with each other. What extra hygiene measures should we take?
Advice gratefully received.

I too am having the same problem. I'm in East Yorkshire UK where there has been a confirmed case at a duck farm. The advise I have been given is keep birds in no free ranging, keep wild birds out of the run and feeders and drinkers. I'm going to put net over my birds so they can still be outside in the run. Don't add new birds to your flock. Keep other chicken/duck people away from your birds. Use one pair of shoes/boots just for going in with your chickens don't walk them around your yard/garden. I know all this may seem OTT but I would rather do this than risk losing my flock to bird flu.

Hopefully they have this under control and it does not spread more.
Wishing you the very best of luck with keeping your chickens healthy :frow

Thanks Yorkshire Coop. I have been looking at the advice from the Dutch government and it says there is a transport ban on all chickens and chicken manure. More restrictions apply within a 10km radius - which I am thankfully outside. Your thoughts on keeping the bird food protected are very valid. I think I will bring mine in tonight and keep them in until the ban is lifted. I don't have an easy option for netting them - it's either locked in or free range. I will have to see how this affects their relationships as they are not used to being cooped up. There could be some nasty bullying. Fingers crossed it will pass soon.

Back
Top Bottom