Bird lice!!! How do I get rid of it!

Hi, ive been using various methods to try an control lice for a few years, ive just tried some new stuff on the market, using mostly natural substances, and it gets rid of lice sooooo quickly, and they seem to stay off for weeks, seem to kill the nits or lice eggs too.

have a look at http://www.backtotheland.co.uk/poultry-health-products-anti-red-mite-paint.htm

I used the dousing system, and its a lot quicker than applying powder or using sprays. Wish i had found out about this years ago.

hope this helps other beginner keepers.
It looks like you can only buy them with Pounds. What about those of us in the USA with the $?

Last edited:
Think you can pay via paypal, isnt there a way to pay in £ and paypal takes the payment in $ from your account?

Otherwise why not email them?

I've only ever had them on birds I got from other people, and the quickest way I found to get rid of them is to buy the "Garden and Poultry Powder" that is sold at Tractor Supply or in some garden sections of home improvement stores. Then you mix that along with food grade DE in a reusable tote (maybe a half cup of powder, a cup or two of DE, and set the bird in the bag. Then you close the bag with your hands but let the bird's head stick out, then give it a good shake for a few minutes, kind of like you would do when coating raw chicken or pork chops in a bag. Haha.

Did that on a new rooster I got that was infested with lice worse than I've ever seen before, and couldn't find a single louse after I took him out! I went back to do it 10 days later like you should, but there was none to be found then either. :D

Last edited:
I've been occasionally finding a little bug crawling on me, especially after handling my birds, so I looked it up in my Audubon guide, and they're bird lice!  EEEWW!! My chickens don't really scratch any more than usual, but my boyfriend is freaked out and doesn't want my birds anywhere near the house now.  What is a good way to delouse them?  I also have tiny week old chicks, so I assume they'll get lice too.  My chickens frequent areas where wild birds hang out (under the birdfeeder) so I assume they'll be exposed to lice constantly.  We're going to change the fencing arrangement soon so they won't be by the feeder.
burn some wood and pile the ashes where they can dustbath in them no more mites of lice.

My grandma just used the ashes from the fireplace. That seemed to work well. She would wait until the ashes cooled, then dump them. The chickens would wallow in the ashes all summer and would not have any lice.

I just picked up a couple cans of the ProZap garden and poultry dust as well as a bottle of liquid 10% permethrin at the farm store, I plan to make a spray or maybe a dip if it is warm enough outside to get the birds wet, I got the dust because it was cheap and I figured it wouldn't hurt to have it on hand. I know this is an old thread but I wanted to add that for those asking about the amount of permethrin liquid to use in a spray or dip, my bottle recommends 1 part permethrin liquid (10%) to 99 parts water, so 1 ounce permethrin to 99 ounces of water or 1 pint permethrin to 99 pints of water, whatever unit of measurement you're dealing in.

I just picked up a couple cans of the ProZap garden and poultry dust as well as a bottle of liquid 10% permethrin at the farm store, I plan to make a spray or maybe a dip if it is warm enough outside to get the birds wet, I got the dust because it was cheap and I figured it wouldn't hurt to have it on hand. I know this is an old thread but I wanted to add that for those asking about the amount of permethrin liquid to use in a spray or dip, my bottle recommends 1 part permethrin liquid (10%) to 99 parts water, so 1 ounce permethrin to 99 ounces of water or 1 pint permethrin to 99 pints of water, whatever unit of measurement you're dealing in.
I used the Poultry and Garden dust with DE and it worked wonders like I said above! I didn't even have to get into the dips and baths and whatnot! I would suggest giving that a try first!

I don't really want to deal with dust as it seems like a pain, it would be easier for me to mix up a tub of water and dip each one and be done with it. My guess is your Poultry and Garden dust is likely what did the trick for you since it kills bugs, I honestly think people who use DE are simply flushing their money down the toilet.

Back
Top Bottom